[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
.22 Facts and fiction • Gun Rights • Political Crossfire Forums

.22 Facts and fiction

.22 Facts and fiction

Postby The Prophet » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:46 am

The Prophet
Council Member

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: .22 Facts and fiction

Postby OGPhilly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am

Image Image
OGPhilly
Banned
Banned

Political Leaning: Liberal

Postby The Prophet » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:05 am

My first impression after performing the test was one of shock. After all, I had heard all the myths about how .22 rounds bounced off leather, denim, deer hides and such. Also about how worthless a round they were. Over and over again I see the .22 disrespected all over the internet. I also see the yarns of 400 yard kill shots and the "I killed a Bear with one tale". What I cant get is why so much misinformation about this little bullet? Why not just plain facts, the truth and nothing but the truth? So Myself and about a dozen others did a year long series test threads over at http://www.survivalistboards.com/ . We did cold weather testing and over 30 different penetration tests from ballistic gel to my deer head and many other things. We did this to end the myths once and for all. What we found I plan on sharing here in this new gun forum. Sorry if the opening post is a bit graphic but hey, sometimes the truth has to hit people up side the head for them to take notice. By the time this post ends everyone here should know the exact capabilities and limitation of the .22 round.
The Prophet
Council Member

Postby Winchester » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:37 am

Personally I'd just spoiler the pics and include a warning.

I've got plenty of respect for the .22 and what it is capable, it's one of my favorite calibers of and have 7 firearms that shoot it... but even though it could kill a larger game animal such as a deer doesn't in my mind make it ethical to do so under most circumstances.

These users thanked the author Winchester for the post:
Spider
Winchester
Governor

Postby The Prophet » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:11 am

The test was not performed to advocate killing deer with them , poachers already do. The test was performed to show what a 40 grain .22 standard round was capable of. There are many out there who think them totally inept and worthless. So many times I have read the stupid remarks like quote" if someone shot me with a .22 it would just p*** me off and I would take the gun away from the guy and beat him to death with it. Or other dangerous remarks. We tested everything we could think of including freezing the rounds and the rifles, immersing them in water and more. We discovered a lot of weaknesses and were surprised by a lot of real good information. If the pictures are too grusome we can just put the links up but I dont see anything there that men cant handle.
The Prophet
Council Member

Postby Winchester » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am

I see no real harm in letting people think they are inept and worthless as long as they are not stupid enough to actually point and shoot them at someone else thinking they can't harm them.
Winchester
Governor

Postby The Prophet » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

The Prophet
Council Member

Postby Winchester » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Winchester
Governor

Postby PoS » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:20 am

Dont have much experience with 22s so I cant add much to this discussion.

I got a question though, my gramps wants to give me his old .22 LR Winchester, what kind of animal can I shoot with it?

PoS
Governor

Political Leaning: Fascist Libertarian

Postby Winchester » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:08 am

Winchester
Governor

Next

Return to Gun Rights