[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Laptop Suggestions • Page 6 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

Laptop Suggestions

Re: Laptop Suggestions

Postby Southern Dad » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:25 am

Okay, I'm impressed. Dell's come along way since the machines that I've got piled in the closet.
Southern Dad
Senator

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby eric » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:09 am

Yeah other companies have stepped up their game, but Windows is still kinda shitty. Feels too commercial for me.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby phosphide » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:46 pm

We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby Spider » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Hmm. I didn't realize Linux was that power hungry. Weird.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby uebermann » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:17 am

Its not that Linux is power hungry so much as it has terrible power optimization out of the box (mixed with some programs/apps being cpu hungry). Get one of a few programs and you can basically set everything (or nearly everything) on it for power saving. The thing with Windows is that it does it automatically, for the most part. But you can set all of your USB ports, cpu/gpu, etc all to power saving modes when not needing it for anything hefty.

I've been using Mint 17.1 at work for a few months now (since 17.1 came out pretty much) and Cinnamon is still a bit buggy and will sometimes just EAT the cpu but when that happens I just reload it and its fine,plus its way more stable overall than Windows (random bluescreens plus forced updates ugh). I think I've rebooted like 4 times in the past few months where I was having to reboot Windows at least once a week. Overall been a good experience with no real problems at all. I have 17.1 on both of my laptops as well but to be honest I usually end up in Windows on them because I use them for Windows stuff for work. Mint runs great on my newer Dell laptop so I'm sure Ubuntu will work just as well (if not better).

These users thanked the author uebermann for the post:
Spider
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Dylan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:36 am

phos what's your address? i'm sending you a macbook air. :-)
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby phosphide » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Oh good, my iPad collecting dust in the corner will have company. :D
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln

These users thanked the author phosphide for the post:
Dylan
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby Spider » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:32 pm

I've been using my ipad daily for a quite a while now. However...we have a Surface 3. Finally I've got a jumping off point to the Surface platform. Priced the same as the ipad, but vastly more functional. Just have to wait for Win10. A tablet...that is also an actual computer with an actual OS that I can load my actual software onto. Nice.

Apple needs to get onto that wagon.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby eric » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:23 am

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby NAB » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:26 am

NAB
Governor

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech