[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Zelda Breath of the Wild • Page 6 • The Lounge • Political Crossfire Forums

Zelda Breath of the Wild

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild

Postby John Galt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:46 am

yes, i'm aware of it but does that mean it doesn't look good? no. so it looks good and runs well, what's the problem?

oh you can't run dues ex on max graphics? well why are you running it on a console you f**k pleb. jesus christ, the console is for zelda and mario kart. the console costs less a video card and you're complaining it's not rendering what that video card can render
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby exploited » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:50 am

exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 am

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby John Galt » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 am

having played... 60hrs? lol... and still not finished entirely, i will say that this is probably the greatest game of all time. the sense of wonder and joy at just running around the map isn't found in any other game at this level. this game is like the first day and night of minecraft, continued on. the horse actually follows the roads, and the light paino playing when you are on the horse makes you want to slow down and just look at the breadth of the game. they put a lot of life into the game but not so much that it seems obnoxious like a WoW or something (although i have found the lone cow on a small plateau. how'd you get here? i guess it doesn't matter, prepare to die i need your flesh). i mean, they got collectibles right in this game (they involve very tiny puzzles but it's fun finding them; there are apparently ~1000 of these in game, and i've found like 170 or so i think)

i do have some problems:

my switch: 4 times had a second or so lag over the course of those 60 hrs
puzzles involving perfect positioning are annoying
the game can get bugged after skipping cutscenes, apparently; i skipped many as i was upgrading gear, and then as a consequence whenever i started attacking an enemy the blood moon event would fire. the blood moon event itself resets everything (brings back the enemies to life, generally with higher hitpoints as you have higher hitpoints). i had to restart the game to clear whatever thing was in the cache and f**k up the game then its fine. i think someone had it trigger while they were in the final showdown with gannon which has several phases of enemies, and they all came back to life, lolz

and most importantly: the main 4 dungeons are more like 1 dungeon with four wings. each wing is different mechanics, but they all have the same vibe. i will say some of the mechanics are quite clever, but the dungeons all took well under an hour, perhaps even a half hour. i've visited hyrule castle and it's a 3-D model for the map and has similar dungeon type feel and seems far more complicated than the other dungeons but it's also not: open the doors and load into new instance, it's part of the main map, which feels great. but like i said i just scoped out the joint and picked up a shrine mini dungeon i needed to get my classic-link outfit

oh i do love that some people were triggered by them poking fun of cross dressers (you have to cross dress yourself in the game to progress the story) as well as flagrantly gay men (your home decorator)
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Mon May 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Well...I've started it. Been sucked in, and have spent a truly irresponsible amount of time on it since this weekend. The world is impressively large...far larger than I would have thought...and it doesn't feel empty, doesn't feel video game "barren"...even as blocky and simplistic and cell shaded as it is, its feels vibrant and alive. Gameplay is tight, with solid parry/block/dodge...quick switching between weapons is fun when the weapons all behave so differently. I would have liked some sort of quick access for food and such, so I don't have to go digging through the inventory over and over again.

Feels simultaneously old school video game simple, and also modern and polished. Nintendo the way its supposed to be.

I've revealed about a third of the map and have finished one beast, so a long ways to go.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Mon May 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Yeah there are some design decisions with the crafting system i would like see changed, even though i can see why they made the decision (make it annoying so you don't always have durian fruit cooked up, unless you sit there cooking durian fruit. also, only cook durian fruit), but over all the game is amazing. maybe in the hard mode that is part of the DLC they won't allow pausing do eat, so you'd have to use quick access, and all the sudden you're playing the legend of dark souls.

i'm glad you are liking it. it takes a long time to explore everything but it never seems like it's taking forever, there's no parts where i'm wishing the thing would end. well, except for the those two puzzles. the golf one, and the marble box in the air one. f**k those puzzles.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Wed May 10, 2017 12:01 am

Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 am

i assume it is easier? but maybe not. it was frustrating, the marble one especially. but it stood out because nothing else in the game was really frustrating even if could be difficult, like figuring out the lost woods
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Wed May 10, 2017 12:12 pm

Well, the gyro in the controller is meant to tilt around on 2 axis, correctly calibrated with the game. The mouse on the other hand is relative to the camera position on screen, and wildly sensitive, so I was actually launching balls out of that big marble box thing like a catapult in some opposite direction from what I was trying...I simply gave up and moved on. Hopefully it wasn't important.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Wed May 10, 2017 1:00 pm

spirit orb + if you do all shrines you get new armor
John Galt
Technical Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge