We're so f*cked

The place for general political discussion.

Re: We're so f*cked

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu May 18, 2017 1:06 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
exploited wrote:Time to arrest him. He can sit in jail until he cooperates.

Also true for HRC. Let her set till she fesses up about the 30,000 destroyed e-mails.

By all means, please provide your analysis of why the deletion of said 36,000 emails warrants criminal punishment. All ears.
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby John Galt » Thu May 18, 2017 1:10 pm

ToddStarnes wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Also true for HRC. Let her set till she fesses up about the 30,000 destroyed e-mails.

By all means, please provide your analysis of why the deletion of said 36,000 emails warrants criminal punishment. All ears.

TBF, what exploited was suggesting was not that Flynn should "punished" but he would be "detained until he cooperates", so spacemonkey is not suggesting Hillary be punished, but rather forced to cooperate with the investigation
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby exploited » Thu May 18, 2017 1:23 pm

I don't see how else you can treat somebody who refuses a subpoena.
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Thu May 18, 2017 1:59 pm

exploited wrote:I don't see how else you can treat somebody who refuses a subpoena.

i don't disagree exploited, however, i'm merely pointing out to dylan that supermonkey was suggesting the same be done to Hillary not as punishment but as a way to get cooperation. even if you view contempt of court as a punishment itself that doesn't mean that hillary would be punished for "deletion of said 36,000 emails warrants criminal punishment", but contempt

this article on the "lawfare" blog (which is a clever name, i'll give them that) explains that you can be held in contempt of congress for refusing, same as if it was a court, but no one has for 75 years. part of this is because the Attorney General must bring the charges

2 U.S.C. § 192...makes it a misdemeanor to refuse to testify or produce documents. Under 2 U.S.C. § 194, the committee and full chamber of Congress must certify the contempt referral, which is sent to a U.S. Attorney ‘whose duty it shall be to bring the matter before the grand jury for its action.’ Notably, a criminal contempt charge was certified against Attorney General Eric Holder, but the U.S. Attorney refused to bring it before the grand jury.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-can-co ... y-subpoena

there are some other options though the congress can do. will just another interesting chapter in this HBO drama series coming spring 2020
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby exploited » Thu May 18, 2017 9:10 pm

John Galt wrote:
exploited wrote:I don't see how else you can treat somebody who refuses a subpoena.

i don't disagree exploited, however, i'm merely pointing out to dylan that supermonkey was suggesting the same be done to Hillary not as punishment but as a way to get cooperation. even if you view contempt of court as a punishment itself that doesn't mean that hillary would be punished for "deletion of said 36,000 emails warrants criminal punishment", but contempt

this article on the "lawfare" blog (which is a clever name, i'll give them that) explains that you can be held in contempt of congress for refusing, same as if it was a court, but no one has for 75 years. part of this is because the Attorney General must bring the charges

2 U.S.C. § 192...makes it a misdemeanor to refuse to testify or produce documents. Under 2 U.S.C. § 194, the committee and full chamber of Congress must certify the contempt referral, which is sent to a U.S. Attorney ‘whose duty it shall be to bring the matter before the grand jury for its action.’ Notably, a criminal contempt charge was certified against Attorney General Eric Holder, but the U.S. Attorney refused to bring it before the grand jury.

there are some other options though the congress can do. will just another interesting chapter in this HBO drama series coming spring 2020

Sorry it's just that I can't take a legal system seriously unless it can enforce a subpoena. Especially from Congress.

Beyond that simple point, it all seems ridiculous. If Holder defied a subpoena, he should still be in jail. That is the entire point of a subpoena, at least for small fry like myself.

The US Constitution and separation of powers is a joke.
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Fri May 19, 2017 10:10 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/arts ... ident.html

Dwayne Johnson Sounds Pretty Serious About Running for President

I'm glad that Donald Trump will just be the first of many WWE hall of famers in the oval office (tbf The Rock is a future hall of famer, unlike current WWE Hall of Famers DJ Trump, Snoop Dogg, Mike Tyson, and Pete Rose, all excellent candidates for President as well)
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 am

Baby steps.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of that which you can do without." -Thoreau
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby spacemonkey » Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am

ToddStarnes wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

I can almost picture her squad pounding on the blackberries with a sledge hammers trying to destroy supposed soccer e-mails. The freaking Flintstones, lol. :popcorn: =))
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby spacemonkey » Fri May 19, 2017 11:42 am

exploited wrote:
John Galt wrote:

Sorry it's just that I can't take a legal system seriously unless it can enforce a subpoena. Especially from Congress.

Beyond that simple point, it all seems ridiculous. If Holder defied a subpoena, he should still be in jail. That is the entire point of a subpoena, at least for small fry like myself.

The US Constitution and separation of powers is a joke.

The gov't being run by corporations via lobby/bribery is what makes it a joke. :-B
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Spider » Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 am

spacemonkey wrote:
ToddStarnes wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

I can almost picture her squad pounding on the blackberries with a sledge hammers trying to destroy supposed soccer e-mails. The freaking Flintstones, lol. :popcorn: =))

Hillary Clinton could have been riding Adolf Hitler reverse cowgirl in the middle of Times Square, screaming "Allahu akbar!" while burning an american flag in one hand and shooting a toddler with the other...and it wouldn't make anything trump has done any more acceptable.

If all you've got is, "WAAAAH! What about those other guys!?!? WAAAH!" then your f**k done. That's some kiddie bullshit logic and you know it.
"Freedom is the increased knowledge of that which you can do without." -Thoreau
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion