Mexico City Earthquake

The place for general political discussion.

Mexico City Earthquake

Postby NAB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:43 pm

My business partner just landed in Mexico City this morning and had to evacuate his hotel when it kicked off. Was on the Anniversary of the great '85 quake today as well. Crazy timing

Images coming out via Twitter.







Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

Re: Mexico City Earthquake

Postby John Galt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:21 pm

the dirty water gondola was about the safest place to be during an earthquake though

i wonder how many buildings collapsed. it's not as if i expected them to be up to earthquake code in mexico d.f.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... 00ar20#map

looks like 6-7 quake intensity in mexico city
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12352
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 578 times
Been thanked: 1284 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Mexico City Earthquake

Postby John Galt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 pm

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... ar20#pager

39% probability of 101-1k deaths
30% probability of 1k-10k
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12352
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 578 times
Been thanked: 1284 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Mexico City Earthquake

Postby NAB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Watch the building the camera pans to about half-way through the vid to see how seismic loads effect structures. It's like the seismic loading diagrams I had to do in structures class back in the day come to life.

Lateral movement in buildings is a f**k, but that building held up like a champ (only minor damage to the masonry facing). While it's too expensive to do every building with it, steel is the way to go in seismic zones.


Welcome to our speak board web page

These users thanked the author NAB for the post:
Winchester
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

Re: Mexico City Earthquake

Postby NAB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

John Galt wrote:the dirty water gondola was about the safest place to be during an earthquake though

i wonder how many buildings collapsed. it's not as if i expected them to be up to earthquake code in mexico d.f.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... 00ar20#map

looks like 6-7 quake intensity in mexico city


I do a lot of work in Mexico, including tha D.F., and they do have seismic codes equal to the US. The '85 quake had a big impact on their building codes, and the quality of construction in the major cities has improved dramatically in the last 30-40 years. It's better than I saw in China and getting closer to US /Western Europe levels (not there yet).
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

Re: Mexico City Earthquake

Postby Saz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:38 pm

I've watched enough disaster movies to know this is all a precursor to a 9.5 quake on the san andreas fault. I've already tweeted the Rock so he is prepared.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
User avatar
Saz
Governor
 
Posts: 8458
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1069 times
Been thanked: 900 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Mexico City Earthquake

Postby NAB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Saz wrote:I've watched enough disaster movies to know this is all a precursor to a 9.5 quake on the san andreas fault. I've already tweeted the Rock so he is prepared.


Can I play the bad guy Architect?

On a personal note: that movie was f**k terrible. The chick in the tank top was it's only saving grace.
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

Re: Mexico City Earthquake

Postby John Galt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 pm

NAB wrote:
John Galt wrote:the dirty water gondola was about the safest place to be during an earthquake though

i wonder how many buildings collapsed. it's not as if i expected them to be up to earthquake code in mexico d.f.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... 00ar20#map

looks like 6-7 quake intensity in mexico city


I do a lot of work in Mexico, including tha D.F., and they do have seismic codes equal to the US. The '85 quake had a big impact on their building codes, and the quality of construction in the major cities has improved dramatically in the last 30-40 years. It's better than I saw in China and getting closer to US /Western Europe levels (not there yet).


well, you would know, i just picture it as

Image
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12352
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 578 times
Been thanked: 1284 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Mexico City Earthquake

Postby Saz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm

NAB wrote:
Saz wrote:I've watched enough disaster movies to know this is all a precursor to a 9.5 quake on the san andreas fault. I've already tweeted the Rock so he is prepared.


Can I play the bad guy Architect?

On a personal note: that movie was f**k terrible. The chick in the tank top was it's only saving grace.


Only if I can play the Lawyer (the bad guy is implied but I've said it explicitly because I'm a Lawyer).

We can travel around a devastated California in a helicopter, collecting evidence and information to sue your competitors for shoddy work. You have a wife though, so the chick in the tank top is with me.

Seriously though, has no one else considered this is the preamble to a massive quake along the fault? Or have I just been watching to many movies? Earthquakes are my numero uno fear.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
User avatar
Saz
Governor
 
Posts: 8458
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1069 times
Been thanked: 900 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Mexico City Earthquake

Postby John Galt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Saz wrote:
NAB wrote:
Saz wrote:I've watched enough disaster movies to know this is all a precursor to a 9.5 quake on the san andreas fault. I've already tweeted the Rock so he is prepared.


Can I play the bad guy Architect?

On a personal note: that movie was f**k terrible. The chick in the tank top was it's only saving grace.


Only if I can play the Lawyer (the bad guy is implied but I've said it explicitly because I'm a Lawyer).

We can travel around a devastated California in a helicopter, collecting evidence and information to sue your competitors for shoddy work. You have a wife though, so the chick in the tank top is with me.

Seriously though, has no one else considered this is the preamble to a massive quake along the fault? Or have I just been watching to many movies? Earthquakes are my numero uno fear.


i think this earthquake and last one in mexico had to do with NA plate and cocos plate, a small plate in south of mexico to ecuador, not the pacific plate
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12352
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 578 times
Been thanked: 1284 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron