Not-the-NFL, Trump, and Kneelers

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Not-the-NFL, Trump, and Kneelers

Postby John Galt » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:43 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/ka ... 71036.html

NFL telling owners everybody has to stand for the anthem

:popcorn:
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Kane » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 pm

They weren’t even coming out into the field for the national anthem before 2009. Jesus. Can we just go back to that?

I’m so tired of this being the focal point. Have Colin go during his time off and protest in a different manner? Colin, can you one up our bloviating President? Take it off the field and direct the attention back to the issue of police brutality.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Spider » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 am

John Galt wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article178071036.html

NFL telling owners everybody has to stand for the anthem

:popcorn:

Apparently not:

The NFL issued a statement Wednesday after Trump's tweet, disputing the president's claim without specifically naming him.
"Commentary this morning about the Commissioner's position on the anthem is not accurate," said the league. "As we said yesterday, there will be a discussion of these issues at the owners meeting next week. The NFL is doing the hard work of trying to move from protest to progress, working to bring people together....Players from around the league will be in New York next week to meet with owners to continue our work together."
NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said that Wednesday's statement "isn't just about the President," and that it also referred to inaccurate news reports Tuesday about Goodell's letter.

tweet in question:

:|
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Spider » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 am

Kane wrote:
Take it off the field and direct the attention back to the issue of police brutality.

Only reason anyone gave a shit in the first place was because it was on the field. People don't give many shits about much...but this is football, damnit.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 am

uebermann wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:The next war if their is one, maybe the military should take a knee and set it out, and let the overpaid NFL crybabies :(( handle it. **==

Is it possible for you to ever post anything other than complete drivel?

The players are given a national platform and some are using it to stand up for those that don't have that kind of exposure/coverage. It isn't "crying" to point out that we still have some severe injustices in this country. Just because an NFL player makes millions doesn't mean his mom, father, brother, sister, son, or daughter couldn't possibly face harsh injustices as a person of color. To be so willfully ignorant of the issues of this country and try to blanket it as players "crying" is just so willfully obtuse and dishonest that I don't even want to start down that road.

You don't like them kneeling? Then stand up for those being treated as 2nd class citizens because their skin is dark and you won't see it happening any more.

Excuse me, I didn't make the black neighborhoods what they are today, I didn't make black men leave their families at about a 70% rate, I didn't make black men kill each other at an average well above the norm for other groups. What I did do was worked for about the last forty years at jobs that very much included minorities in their ranks, including the military. If minorities choose not to join those ranks, that's on them, not me. There seems to be some mindset that says being a minority is almost a pre requisite for having difficulties in life. Since I've had plenty of setbacks I pretty much know that's just a load of BS. If you actually compare today to 1865, Its actually skewed in favor of minorities today. But who cares, I don't.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Philly » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am

Kane wrote:They weren’t even coming out into the field for the national anthem before 2009. Jesus. Can we just go back to that?

I’m so tired of this being the focal point. Have Colin go during his time off and protest in a different manner? Colin, can you one up our bloviating President? Take it off the field and direct the attention back to the issue of police brutality.

Um, Kaepernick isn't even in the NFL anymore.
Philly
Governor

Postby Kane » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am

He's not a free agent?
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Philly » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 am

Kane wrote:He's not a free agent?

Ok, Mr. Pedantic. He's not playing in the NFL. He's not on a team.
Philly
Governor

Postby John Galt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 am

...yeaaaaah. :|

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion