Ruling on posts/threads condemning an entire demographic

Comments, suggestions and general requests related to the site itself.

Re: Ruling on posts/threads condemning an entire demographic

Postby lnrw » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am

Don't worry about it. I think by coming here, I'm inviting aggravation, so whatever happens, doesn't matter much and it's easy to avoid.

Thanks for responding Precocity. :-h

Lifetime member of the NRA
lnrw
Governor

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby WizardfromOz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Yossarian wrote:In addition to other reprehensible traits boomers are also apparently easily offended.

I can't believe how thin skinned the members of this board are.

Well I am a baby boomer and I have expressed no concern over such comments. Therefore that automatically discounts claims that the statement is representative of an entire demographic
WizardfromOz
Senator

Postby Precocity » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:55 pm

Yossarian wrote:In addition to other reprehensible traits boomers are also apparently easily offended.

And you are doing exactly what I said not to do.

Yossarian wrote:I can't believe how thin skinned the members of this board are.

Our policy isn't written only for you, it's written for everyone. If you don't like dealing with thin skinned posters then I'm sure there are dozens of other boards you could post in that have no problem with blanket bashing.

If you choose to stay then obey they rules. If not, then you won't last long here.
Precocity
Site Admin

Postby OGPhilly » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am

Sonned
The Reactionaries
OGPhilly
Banned
Banned

Political Leaning: Liberal

Postby Mr.Bill » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 am

In some of the boomer threads I/other boomers here were called every single name in the book, and wished for all boomers to die.. Many times... I never once reported anyone. And as far as I know since no one was every suspended due to those threads I doubt anyone reported them. Hell many of those threads were allowed to stand. Some were locked, but not all..

So I don't see the boomers here being thin-skinned.. Actually IMO it's quite the opposite.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby OGPhilly » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 am

Mr.Bill wrote:So I don't see the boomers here being thin-skinned.. Actually IMO it's quite the opposite.

I wouldn't say opposite. I don't see boomers as a whole of having thin or thick skin. It's pretty varied.
The Reactionaries
OGPhilly
Banned
Banned

Political Leaning: Liberal

Postby Mr.Bill » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 pm

We're nit picking now.. I said the boomers HERE.. There's only 5-6 of us.

Maybe someone was offended though, and I missed it.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Precocity » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Let me make this clear. Some boomers were offended, not so much that they took it as a personal insult, but more along the lines that it was just another bash thread. Let's go back to the thread that forced uebermann and I to have to deal with this problem.

Thirty years of hell

Mr.Bill wrote:Can we just make an 'the boomers suck' a sticky thread?

It seems like these monthly I hate the boomers threads are getting confusing and repetitive. If it is a sticky we can easily look back and see what was already covered. :D

and

cool_chick wrote:
Philly wrote:... and maybe we can get a debate going.

What can possibly be "debated" here? This is nothing but the monthly "boomers suck" troll thread.

That is why I was planning on jumping in and putting the hammer down but it really wasn't until I got a report from someone (don't even ask because reports are always confidential) using rule #9 as the reason.

Notice what I said in my locked post.

Precocity wrote:Exactly cool_chick and that is why I am locking this thread. Blanket bashing is not a debate. - p

Well apparently my actions pissed off the non-boomers because it wasn't long before the Feedback forum:

If we can't talk about boomers....
by Philly » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Can't even ask Qs about how we may discuss BBs ?
by Breakage » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:23 am

Why can't we comment on boomers?
by Philly » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:07 am

Feel free to go look at those threads. It was obvious that some members were asking for clarification and I, being the nice guy I am, decided to take up the problem with uebermann so we could both come to an agreement and prevent any further confusion.

Yet some of you still don't get it. I don't care if some boomers didn't take offense to it, like I said before - the rule isn't for some, it's for all - and some did take offense to overall intention as I showed above. It was never going to be a debate because the OP started it out that way ("Boomers are a scourge...") and many of you jumped on the wagon and went with it. You know who you are and don't play dumb because the posts are there for all to see. I let it go on in the hopes it would turn back into ONLY a civil discussion but that was never going to happen.

I deliberately left the locked thread up for some of you to go back and reflect on what happened and not what you think happened.

Now to be honest, I'm sick of having to spend as much time rehashing this over and over. I KNOW uebermann is tired of it based on how busy he's been lately. I did my best not to ignore it and just use the old admin "that's the way it is so shut up" type of response that I could have used but I try not to use my power that way only if I have no choice.

So now it's up to you guys. You can accept what I say and go forward with it or find out the hard way if we continue to see more pushing for more clarification or continue to see disagreements on the way it is going to be, not the way you want it.
Precocity
Site Admin

Postby exploited » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Nice guy pwnage.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Mr.Bill » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:29 pm

In my defense I had a nice BIG SMILE at the end of my post, so I really wasn't serious. I mean I really didn't think there should be a sticky boomer thread. I was trying to be funny.. I guess I missed.

But if some boomers were offended, then I stand corrected.

I don't know anymore. I can see why the Mods are tired of addressing this. But me personally, I don't care. Not that that matters.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback and Help