Ruling on posts/threads condemning an entire demographic

Comments, suggestions and general requests related to the site itself.

Re: Ruling on posts/threads condemning an entire demographic

Postby exploited » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 pm

uebermann wrote:I assume it was closed because the discussion wasn't on topic and instead was just people accusing others of being racist.

*edit also comments like telling people to "go jerk off or something" probably didn't help and certainly isn't on topic

These accusations are bound to come up. It sucks, but unless all future discussion about Israel or race or nationalities is taken off the table, I believe it is something to be dealt with selectively.

My comment was inappropriate, I agree in retrospect I shouldn't have said it. But again, what sense is there shutting down whole topics because a few members, such as myself, behave like dickheads?
exploited
Vice President

Postby The Dharma Bum » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:20 pm

It just seems like some people are itching for a fight about whether antisemitism should be considered a valid concept. Considering history I would say it illustrates an aspect of human nature we should all be not just aware of, but wary of.

Whether it manifests as 100,000s of thousands hacked to death with a machete, 6,000,000 plus industrially liquidated, or the sterilization of marginalized social classes by all states in general there are far too many willing to apologize for or just stand idly by while this instinct is manipulated as a tool of gaining and maintaining sociopolitical dominance.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby WizardfromOz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 pm

The Dharma Bum wrote:It just seems like some people are itching for a fight about whether antisemitism should be considered a valid concept. Considering history I would say it illustrates an aspect of human nature we should all be not just aware of, but wary of.

Whether it manifests as 100,000s of thousands hacked to death with a machete, 6,000,000 plus industrially liquidated, or the sterilization of marginalized social classes by all states in general there are far too many willing to apologize for or just stand idly by while this instinct is manipulated as a tool of gaining and maintaining sociopolitical dominance.

Ever since I have been on the internet this has been an issue. I can recall back in the day on PFC being a Jewish laky and an anti semantic at exactly the same time on two different threads.
WizardfromOz
Senator

Postby The Dharma Bum » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 pm

WizardfromOz wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:It just seems like some people are itching for a fight about whether antisemitism should be considered a valid concept. Considering history I would say it illustrates an aspect of human nature we should all be not just aware of, but wary of.

Ever since I have been on the internet this has been an issue. I can recall back in the day on PFC being a Jewish laky and an anti semantic at exactly the same time on two different threads.

Exploiting xenophobia is an age old power dynamic and is the philosophic heart of statism itself, imho. You know, the whole "band together against our enemies" mentality that statism is predicated on? It's xenophobia (quite justified at the time lol) Of course we've overlaid it with a few thousand years of social conditioning, but we've got a ways to go still.

One day we'll be able to move beyond the various oppressive protocols our social order is based upon to the higher ground. In the mean time here's a really cool song:
Video from : old youtube.com
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Precocity » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Ok exploited. I looked at the thread and I'm going to go along with NAB on locking it.

Please go back to the beginning of this thread and read all the posts I made. I spent several hours of my time conferring with uebermann and typing out the policy. I also said this at the last:

Precocity wrote:Now to be honest, I'm sick of having to spend as much time rehashing this over and over. I KNOW uebermann is tired of it based on how busy he's been lately. I did my best not to ignore it and just use the old admin "that's the way it is so shut up" type of response that I could have used but I try not to use my power that way only if I have no choice.

So now it's up to you guys. You can accept what I say and go forward with it or find out the hard way if we continue to see more pushing for more clarification or continue to see disagreements on the way it is going to be, not the way you want it.

Now you are making me rehash this once again.

Face it. If you want to complain about anything go read the 2nd post, immediately after the OP of that locked Israel thread. Revenant actually started the topic and, based on what I see, was intending for it to be a civil discussion about the actions of the Israel government but all it takes is one bad apple to ruin the whole barrel (so to speak) and plant the seed for bashing.

Yes Comrade, I am talking about you.

The Comrade wrote:stories like this make it hard for me to consider the holocaust a bad thing.

While that post in itself wasn't the only cause, it laid the groundwork. It is like seeing someone start a speech and someone in the audience coughing "bull shit" or "f**k you" and then watching the audience slowly but surely jump in the food fight. It really isn't that much different. Consider it an eBomb. Maybe Comrade thought he was doing nothing wrong (which I doubt) but he did it nonetheless.

Then on top of that, we got a report on what Comrade said. The report got closed without any action taken and then it got reported again. I conferred with the moderators and we all came into agreement that it didn't warrant any action taken (lucky for you Comrade) and the person reporting it was PM'ed explaining why. So far so good. We weren't going to go apeshit over one inflammatory post and kill the discussion because of the malicious action of one poster in a single post.

Now let's jump ahead to this:

exploited wrote:Comrades comment was offensive... I have just long ago stopped giving a shit. Jewish people seem perfectly content to support racism, bigotry and genocide. In fact, many Jewish people view those attributes as God given rights. At the same time, a huge chunk of Jews have an ideology that intentionally segregates them from the rest of humanity, on the basis of some piece of shit religious tradition.

Remember when I posted earlier in this feedback thread that the policy is written for all, not just for one person? You even admit his comment was offensive but you don't give a shit. Well sorry to tell you this, but others did.

Now ex, remember saying this?

exploited wrote:A recent Israel thread got closed, presumably because I and others made comments that I guess "condemned an entire demographic." In reality, I put all the proper qualifiers on my statements - some, many, most, etc.

The thread got locked for the combined actions of many, not just you. Even after NAB put a warning in.

Plus, if we really want to get picky, you didn't put ALL the proper qualifiers. See it's like a lie, in a sense, because if you lie, you have to always remember the lie. Here...

exploited wrote:Jewish people seem perfectly content to support racism, bigotry and genocide.

Wait. I don't see some, many, most in that statement. I see Jewish people. Of course you didn't catch that but I did and I suspect NAB did too. But that is only your posts. I can look over all the other posters and see where they don't even attempt to use qualifiers. What you are doing is like a magician trick. You used some, many, whatever to play around with the policy. Our intent with the policy on an entire demographic was not meant to throw in some as a trick.

Face it, the thread turned into a blanket bash. It deserved to get locked and if NAB hadn't of done it first, I would have.

And like I said before, I am sick of having to rehash this issue again and I can promise you I won't do it anymore. Just to prove it, I am locking this thread, keeping the topic thread locked and locking the door on this discussion. If I see it brought up again in another thread, I have no problem with pulling out the mod stick and start using it.
Precocity
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Feedback and Help