Another forum consolidation is needed

Comments, suggestions and general requests related to the site itself.

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby Philly » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:44 am

NAB wrote:
exploited wrote:There should be no more than five subforums for a place this size.


I'm thinking about breaking it into just two sub forums.

Serious and Not Serious

Even this is almost impossible. Threads always change topic. Half of them end with people arguing about food or saz and Dylan going back and forth about lawlyer shit.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FREE MR. SHAMAN
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9241
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 936 times
Been thanked: 1066 times

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby NAB » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:48 am

Philly2 wrote:
NAB wrote:
exploited wrote:There should be no more than five subforums for a place this size.


I'm thinking about breaking it into just two sub forums.

Serious and Not Serious

Even this is almost impossible. Threads always change topic. Half of them end with people arguing about food or saz and Dylan going back and forth about lawlyer shit.


Then I can solve this by creating one sub forum called: This Place
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 6916
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 985 times

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby Philly » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:49 am

Yep. Since I'm permanently on view active topics it's basically like that for me already and it works great.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FREE MR. SHAMAN
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9241
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 936 times
Been thanked: 1066 times

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby Saz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:50 am

Philly2 wrote:I always just do "view active topics". Can't tell you the last time I looked at a specific section.


Who are these mouth breathers clicking through individual forums?
Image
User avatar
Saz
Governor
 
Posts: 7786
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1018 times
Been thanked: 840 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby NAB » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 am

I usually only use one of three buttons for general forum reading.

Active topics, followed by view your posts, and then I'll click view unread posts as dessert.
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 6916
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 985 times

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby eric » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 am

John Galt wrote:I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but I do see the merits to it, simply, that the subforum doens't look like it hasn't been used often. I'll use the subforums to place topics at times but like philly I just look at active topics pretty much unless searching for something specific

as for conspiracy theories i believe that was an attempt to placate some people while still getting crap out of the main forum. arguably we could be moving things into them even today but the theorists are so few no one really does

that said we're going to newest version of phpbb soon and can do consolidation at the same time, i think, if desired.


Also, would it be possible to also add functionality such that when you click on a forum members username it opens up their profile page. As of right now it's clickable but doesn't do anything.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
User avatar
eric
Governor
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby John Galt » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:03 am

eric wrote:
John Galt wrote:I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but I do see the merits to it, simply, that the subforum doens't look like it hasn't been used often. I'll use the subforums to place topics at times but like philly I just look at active topics pretty much unless searching for something specific

as for conspiracy theories i believe that was an attempt to placate some people while still getting crap out of the main forum. arguably we could be moving things into them even today but the theorists are so few no one really does

that said we're going to newest version of phpbb soon and can do consolidation at the same time, i think, if desired.


Also, would it be possible to also add functionality such that when you click on a forum members username it opens up their profile page. As of right now it's clickable but doesn't do anything.


eric,

it seems to right now put their name in the reply which i agree is silly

however

click the avatar
Image
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 518 times
Been thanked: 1151 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby Saz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:06 am

NAB wrote:I usually only use one of three buttons for general forum reading.

Active topics, followed by view your posts, and then I'll click view unread posts as dessert.


My "Posts you have been thanked for" page is bookmarked in my porn folder.
Image
User avatar
Saz
Governor
 
Posts: 7786
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1018 times
Been thanked: 840 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby eric » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:09 am

John Galt wrote:
eric wrote:
John Galt wrote:I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but I do see the merits to it, simply, that the subforum doens't look like it hasn't been used often. I'll use the subforums to place topics at times but like philly I just look at active topics pretty much unless searching for something specific

as for conspiracy theories i believe that was an attempt to placate some people while still getting crap out of the main forum. arguably we could be moving things into them even today but the theorists are so few no one really does

that said we're going to newest version of phpbb soon and can do consolidation at the same time, i think, if desired.


Also, would it be possible to also add functionality such that when you click on a forum members username it opens up their profile page. As of right now it's clickable but doesn't do anything.


eric,

it seems to right now put their name in the reply which i agree is silly

however

click the avatar


Using the latest Safari build there isn't anything that happens when I click the avatar
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
User avatar
eric
Governor
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Another forum consolidation is needed

Postby John Galt » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:25 am

i don't have access to any device with safari and apple won't let me download it, but IE, Firefox, and Chrome all link to the user profile if you click on the image. i just verified on all of them.

does apple not allow hyperlinks in images or something?
Image
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 518 times
Been thanked: 1151 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback and Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest