The Great War

Items of historical significance.

The Great War

Postby John Galt » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:45 pm

I only recently discovered this youtube channel, The Great War. Every week they review what happened that week one hundred years ago. They are 101 weeks into the Great War, but still have years of content ahead. this playlist includes a lot of other things like "sweden in the great war" or "verdun fortress design". so while they are on week 101 of the great war it still has 246 videos. i know, it's a lot, but this is extremely informative and very well done and enjoyable to watch and I've learned a lot about the Great War watching it

Video from : youtube.com

here's all the playlists

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar/playlists

highly recommended
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt

These users thanked the author John Galt for the post (total 3):
SpiderSazWinchester
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: The Great War

Postby Saz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Yea, awesome channel and the whole war is fascinating. Truly the height of insanity.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

Postby Spider » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Awesome.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:05 pm

War = a stupid game played by stupid people.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby John Galt » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:09 pm

The absolute disgusting loss of life in the first few months when everyone thought it would be over soon is so appalling. i can't even imagine reading a paper telling me that 20,000 of my countrymen died in one battle, and another 200,000 were injured or captured.

but this video points out how stupid decisions by the german high command (letting subordinates do their own thing, causing gaps in the west and in the east a general to take initiative that caused a rout of german forces, leading to redeployment of men from the west to the east) caused the end of the schlieffen plan. had they better communication and worked together instead of independently, the war could have actually been over rather quickly with the fall of paris, like ww2 (for france, anyway). instead... f**k.
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Saz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:22 pm

John Galt wrote:but this video points out how stupid decisions by the german high command (letting subordinates do their own thing, causing gaps in the west and in the east a general to take initiative that caused a rout of german forces, leading to redeployment of men from the west to the east) caused the end of the schlieffen plan. had they better communication and worked together instead of independently, the war could have actually been over rather quickly with the fall of paris, like ww2 (for france, anyway). instead... f**k.

Hitler thought the same thing and it actually turned out even worse for him. Surprised there isn't a german word for the naive but confident period right before a disastrous war. Leben?
Saz
Governor

Postby John Galt » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Saz wrote:
John Galt wrote:but this video points out how stupid decisions by the german high command (letting subordinates do their own thing, causing gaps in the west and in the east a general to take initiative that caused a rout of german forces, leading to redeployment of men from the west to the east) caused the end of the schlieffen plan. had they better communication and worked together instead of independently, the war could have actually been over rather quickly with the fall of paris, like ww2 (for france, anyway). instead... f**k.

Hitler thought the same thing and it actually turned out even worse for him. Surprised there isn't a german word for the naive but confident period right before a disastrous war. Leben?

barbarosa was his mistake. well that, and continously going after the manpower of a nation with virtually unlimited manpower; he turned south before moscow thinking it of little importance when he could have had it before the first winter. instead...
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Saz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:32 pm

John Galt wrote:The absolute disgusting loss of life in the first few months when everyone thought it would be over soon is so appalling. i can't even imagine reading a paper telling me that 20,000 of my countrymen died in one battle, and another 200,000 were injured or captured.

It's crazy man. In Engalnd here they have towns where nearly the entire male population was would be wiped out in a day. They had a thing on the BBC here about 3 villages that basically lost every man of fighting age on the first day of the Somme and the towns just never recovered, 1 isn't even on maps anymore. My grandparents has crazy stories from their parents about the war. The graveyard by the local church has an entire section for those killed in the wars.
Saz
Governor

Postby John Galt » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Saz wrote:
John Galt wrote:The absolute disgusting loss of life in the first few months when everyone thought it would be over soon is so appalling. i can't even imagine reading a paper telling me that 20,000 of my countrymen died in one battle, and another 200,000 were injured or captured.

It's crazy man. In Engalnd here they have towns where nearly the entire male population was would be wiped out in a day. They had a thing on the BBC here about 3 villages that basically lost every man of fighting age on the first day of the Somme and the towns just never recovered, 1 isn't even on maps anymore. My grandparents has crazy stories from their parents about the war. The graveyard by the local church has an entire section for those killed in the wars.

yeah they put everyone together in the same unit thinking hey, people who know each other should fight with each other, like the glorious days when we had fabulous bright uniforms and line formations

in that video one of them mentions that the french field book states that you could run 50 meters in the time it took for an opponent to reload a weapon. so they followed the handbook and then learned about "machine guns". which weren't even that new, gattling guns were used in the US civil war 50 years prior. such completely backwards thinking leaders led to the deaths of millions
John Galt
Technical Admin

Return to History