Trump and the Religious Right -What is going on?

Home of 2016 election discussions.

Trump and the Religious Right -What is going on?

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:29 am

We know that Donald J. Trump is not a particularly religious person, despite his waving the bible from a podium and proclaiming that it is his favorite book. He has not exactly exemplified  the values and lifestyle that true Christians aspire to.

But we also know that he successfully  courted the religious  right, the fundamentalist evangelicals, in order to get nominated and elected. We also know that while they distrust him, they saw him as the better alternative-as the candidate who would do their bidding and it appears that they were correct.
Case in point:

What Trump’s Education Appointment Tells Us About the Religious Right’s Influence
On Wednesday (November 23) President-elect Donald Trump announced Betsy DeVos as his pick for Secretary of Education. DeVos is a billionaire conservative activist whose name is well known among the higher echelons of the religious right. Her family has contributed tens of thousands of dollars to the Michigan Family Forum (a state affiliate of the Christian fundamentalist organization Focus on the Family) and the Family the Research Council, which has been designated a “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

In addition:

In 1998 she founded the American Education Reform Foundation which was later renamed the American Federation for Children (AFC). The AFC is an advocacy organization whose stated purpose is to “empower parents, particularly those in low-income families, to choose the education they determine is best for their children.” Unfortunately, DeVos has used the AFC to push a crucial component of the religious right’s agenda: securing taxpayer dollars for private religious schools. AFC advocates for voucher programs that divert taxpayer money from public schools to private religious schools.

http://www.secularvaluesvoter.org/2016/11/28/what-trumps-education-appointment-tells-us-about-the-religious-rights-influence/

The question is- is he an unwitting patsy, or is there something more nefarious going on?   Lets take a closer  look.

What Did Trump Promise the Religious Right?

Amidst all the Trump-related outrage, there is at least one question that I don't think has received nearly enough attention: What did Trump offer evangelical fundamentalist Christians in exchange for their support, and what will it mean for the rest of us if he delivers on it? We know from exit polls and other surveys conducted since the election that evangelical fundamentalist Christians turned out to vote for Trump in large numbers. We also know that this happened in spite of his behavior. While I have no doubt that some would have turned out to vote for anyone who was not Clinton, the massive support Trump received from fundamentalist Christians does make me wonder what he offered them and whether he intends to deliver it.  Read more: http://www.blogarama.com/frame?siteId=3 ... d=18683941

There is at least one prominent conservative Christian who has expressed  a degree of incredulity over what he is seeing:

Even Richard Land Is Shocked By How Much Influence The Religious Right Is Having In Shaping Trump’s Administration

Last month, it was reported that President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team was giving Religious Right activists, especially the members of his presidential campaign’s evangelical advisory board, unprecedented input in shaping his administration.

Earlier this week, one of the members of that board, Richard Land of the Southern Evangelical Seminary, appeared on the “Point of View” radio program, where he told host Kerby Anderson that he has been shocked by how much influence he and other Religious Right activists have had over the make-up of Trump’s administration.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/even ... istration/

So who is Richard Land? A moderate ? A liberal Christian? Not hardly. He is in fact a well know right wing culture warrior  Richard Land

Land went on to say in the above piece:

Some of my conservative friends and I, we have been pinching ourselves, are we hallucinating or is this actually happening?” Land said. “I know a good number of people on the transition team and I can tell you right now, about half of them, Kerby, think I’m liberal. I mean, these are very conservative people.”

Land, a longtime activist and former Southern Baptist Convention official, said that he has “been solicited five times for personnel recommendations” by the Trump administration, which is something that never happened under any previous Republican president. As such, Land said, “this administration is going to have more conservative Christians, Catholic and evangelical, in it than any administration that I’ve been associated with or had contact with, and I’ve been doing this since Reagan.”

The most disconcerting part of this is the  type of appointees to the federal courts that Trump is likely to make. It appears that our secular government and society- the very concept of the separation of church and state is now at grave risk!!
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Political Leaning: Very Liberal

Re: Trump and the Religious Right -What is going on?

Postby spacemonkey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:51 am

They should have had a separation of corporation and state too. A little to late for that now though. One thing about religion based schools (parochial schools), They seem to blow public schools out of the water on results.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Southern Dad » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:21 am

What do you mean Donald J Trump isn't a religious man? How is it that you know this? Donald J Trump is a lifelong Presbyterian. He just isn't public about his faith, waving it around for all to say how great he is.
Southern Dad
Senator

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby ToddStarnes » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:55 am

Not that it matters, but I kinda doubt he's religious at all. Dude worships at the alter of Donald and nowhere else as far as I can tell......
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby Southern Dad » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:44 pm

I'll be honest, I think that religious people are gullible. I wish that we would get a politician that isn't afraid to say that he/she isn't a believer.
Southern Dad
Senator

Postby Luke Skywalker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Southern Dad wrote:I'll be honest, I think that religious people are gullible. I wish that we would get a politician that isn't afraid to say that he/she isn't a believer.

Agree with the first part of your statement. BIG difference between being religious (like, going to church and paying lip service) and being aware of who one is "In Christ." Many - if not most - people who go to church these days have zero knowledge of who they are in Christ. Being aware of who I am in Christ means that I am becoming like Him. You see, it is not what we do, that determines who we are. It is who we are that determines what we do.

Knowing this stuff and proving it, though, are two different things. I know it to be true. Prove it? I, frankly, don't have to. Nor do I give a damn what others think, for I already know who and what I am.

I'll be honest - I personally wish we would get a politician that would tell us THAT.
Luke Skywalker
VIP
VIP

Postby Southern Dad » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm sorry to disagree with you, Luke Skywalker and you are entitled to you beliefs but I feel that those that believe any religion are gullible. Spin a good tail in a book, promise the afterlife, and you have a class of people that will do whatever you ask even if it means their own demise.
Southern Dad
Senator

Postby spacemonkey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:48 pm

May the force be with you.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.

These users thanked the author spacemonkey for the post:
Luke Skywalker
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 pm

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Political Leaning: Very Liberal

Return to Elections