[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
The 7" Tablet market is getting crowded. • Page 4 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

The 7" Tablet market is getting crowded.

Re: The 7" Tablet market is getting crowded.

Postby fstarcstar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:49 pm

I actually like the look of this newest B&N 7" Nook (right), too bad its technically running on android.

fstarcstar
Governor

Postby Mr.Bill » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:12 pm

She wants the 8.9" Kindle Fire with the 4g.. The 4g seems to be a big thing with her, I don't know why.. Whatever, it's gonna be her Christmas present. Makes it easy for me, I don't have to run around trying to find presents for her.. 1 big $500 one, and a couple of small presents. That's it, nice and easy.

I tried to talk her out of it though.. I think there's better tablets out there, but she wants this.. Like I said, makes it an easy Christmas shopping year for me.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Winchester » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Winchester
Governor

Postby Mr.Bill » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:59 am

Reading through the Amazon Customer discussion forums a MAJOR problem with the original Fire is the mini-USB charging plug on the device comes loose and then of course the Fire won't charge, or it becomes a PITA to charge. Mine got to be a PITA. Sometimes it wouldn't charge at all, sometimes if it was in a certain position it would charge.. I had to move it around, jiggle the plug, etc. to try and get it to charge. At times I thought it was charging, only to check it hours later to see it didn't charge at all.

So this past week I sent it back( it has a 1 year warranty).. Like I said before as time went on I became more and more disappointed in my Fire, one of the reasons was this charging problem.. BUT dealing with Amazon's customer service people, and sending the Fire back and getting a new one was AMAZINGLY good and easy. It was a pleasure, I just couldn't believe how easy it was.. I mean they even paid the return shipping.

It sucks because now I have to set up the new Fire all over again, and that took a couple of days, but Amazon's service was better than any other company I've ever dealt with..
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby jurupa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:40 am

When it comes to tech companies the only ones I heard overall best reviews from is Newegg, Amazon, and Logitech (they are crazy they been known to replace products well out of warranty for free).
jurupa
Mayor

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby John Galt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:20 am

i picked up the nexus 7. i really like what google has done with jelly bean. the interface is sl very slick now, from resizable widgets to the improved multitasking, to the better dropdown for notifications, to even the silly things like the face lock (which works most of the time very quickly)

i just wanted something to be able to watch youtube videos while not sitting at my computer, be able to skype, etc. it's doing what i wanted it to do and more. Google Now is pretty slick; it knows when i am about to go home from work and gives me traffic conditions. it knows what i've been searching for recently and might give me restaurant suggestions based upon where i am, etc. when i went on a flight it was telling me when to leave to get to the airport for the flight. it's nice for having pictures on picassa to just have them to show people.

7 inch is nice, i got a case from amazon for it and it's like having a small planner to carry around.

with a price point of 200 i think it was a pretty good purchase
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Mr.Bill » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:12 am

Yeah, I'm probably going to get a Nexus 7, and give this Fire to my niece. This replacement Fire is working much better than my 1st Fire. But I think I want a new 'toy', and from what I'm reading i DO NOT one of the new Fire HD's..

I'm reading Amazon has the HD's locked up TIGHT.. No other launchers can be used.. No other browsers. except a few people have wrote they got Dolphin to work on the HD's. I never hacked this Fire I have now, BUT I do use Go Launcher and a couple of non Amazon browsers. Amazon Silk browser is a pretty good browser, BUT the launcher on the Fire sucks big time.. No way I want to be stuck using that all the time.. Plus you still can't use Google Play, you have to use Amazon's site, or 3rd party sites to d/l Apps..

I just don't like the idea of any company being that heavy-handed.. So as far as Amazon's Hardware they've lost my business.. BUT my wife still wants the Fire 8.9", so they'll get some of of our business.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby eric » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:03 am

Well there's going to be a 7 inch iPad.

If I had a desktop computer I probably would have purchased a tablet and kept it. Having a macbook air and tablet just didn't make sense (had the iPad 3 when it came out and sold it to my aunt who loves it).
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby Mr.Bill » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Spider » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Nexus 7 is solid. Even if it weren't, at that price you can't complain.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech