[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Talking, Walking Objects • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

Talking, Walking Objects

Talking, Walking Objects

Postby J.K. Gregg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 am

Objectivist, IT professional, news junkie, geek, and husband. Formally known by Tetracide. I do the twitter @jk_gregg.

You're wrong until proven correct.
J.K. Gregg
Senator

Political Leaning: Objectivist

Re: Talking, Walking Objects

Postby Precocity » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 am

Precocity
Site Admin

Postby J.K. Gregg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:18 pm

I don't think "do everything your master says" is a good idea. What if the master says "kill as many people as possible"?
Objectivist, IT professional, news junkie, geek, and husband. Formally known by Tetracide. I do the twitter @jk_gregg.

J.K. Gregg
Senator

Postby exploited » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:19 pm

My wife and I can't wait for a BJ robot. We both get what we want.
exploited
Vice President

Postby J.K. Gregg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:33 pm

Classy.

EDIT: And because I can't help myself: I'm never trusting a robot with the strength of 10 men to wrap itself around my penis. No way in hell.
Last edited by J.K. Gregg on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.K. Gregg
Senator

Postby Precocity » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Precocity
Site Admin

Postby J.K. Gregg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:37 pm

J.K. Gregg
Senator

Postby John Galt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 pm

you can already program things for some of that, without need to buy a, for example, laundry machine with internet access http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sup ... t/comments with this twine you could put the device onto the laundry machine and have it text you when it's done. other ideas is being able to know if your door is being knocked on, seeing who is there, and then use another gadget to unlock the deadbolt if you want (so you can let friends in when you're not even home)

what i'd like is automatic inventory systems for the home. so you could look up on your eyepiece (cuz it's gonna be a year or two anyway) your current inventory of sugar or something. i would buy specialized containers if necessary (so you know exactly how much sugar is left) but a lot of it can be handled by RFID (so you know you have a bag of sugar). the software can allocate all of that and, in conjunction with software can tell you things you can make with what you have and things you need to make what you queried. perhaps it could also take note of when the rfid first appeared and be able to track the individual components to tell you if you really should eat the other unopened jar of peanut butter -- it's set to spoil sooner than the one you're opening.

i wouldn't consider things connected to the internet as "robots" though. my computer is hooked up but it's a computer not a robot. a robot would autonomously determine if someone is a known friend and let him into your house without input from anyone. sure, perhaps you've set him as a person you allow into your house, but if it was a robot the robot, likely named Alfred, would take care of such tasks for you.
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby John Galt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby J.K. Gregg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:55 pm

J.K. Gregg
Senator

Next

Return to Science/Tech