[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
SteamOS Available to Download Tomorrow • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

SteamOS Available to Download Tomorrow

SteamOS Available to Download Tomorrow

Postby phosphide » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Any of you going to give it a shot? I'll probably load it up in a virtual box as it's not a finished product from what I understand. Interested to see the aesthetics and layout and what Linux distro they copied to start it all.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/12/stea ... ecember-13
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: SteamOS Available to Download Tomorrow

Postby The Dharma Bum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:05 pm

That's a pretty neat development for Linux users
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Mr.Bill » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 pm

OK, I've been using Ubuntu for 7 years or so now.. Between my Chromebook and Ubuntu on my Asus laptop and my desktop I hardly ever boot into Windows anymore.. But I'll bite, WTF is SteamOS?
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby phosphide » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:22 pm

I don't use Steam much, but basically it's a gaming platform for the computer. You can purchase, download, and play games. They announced not too long ago they are building a Steam Machine (basically a console) loaded with SteamOS, their own customized linux distribution.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby The Dharma Bum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:37 pm

So will all games currently on steam for windows be available?
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby phosphide » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:44 pm

I did hear that you can stream games to it from your PC. So I assume as long as you have the game on your Windows PC you can stream it to your steam machine. So to answer your question, I have no idea.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby Spider » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby uebermann » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:45 am

I would jump into it just to see how well it works but I am going to be busy this weekend. Plus our server at work died due to exploding fan on the video card (no shit) and I used the old card from my linux box in the server to get it working again. Work is paying for a new one but I haven't ordered it yet and I really don't feel like dusting off the old 9800gtx (not that it would fit in the case anyways).

But they did say something about needing to be a Linux guru to get it up and running properly. Not quite sure what that means but no doubt someone will be putting up some step by step instructions on how to do it.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby John Galt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm def going to stick it on a partition on my HTPC and see how it goes. Might build a steambox like what Winchester did in the New Build thread, where it can be bolted onto the back of the TV.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Next

Return to Science/Tech