Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby exploited » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:18 pm

The Dharma Bum wrote:correct and that 7 layer network protocol, the open systems interconnection model, is the same across all platforms.

that's why I said the differences between OS are superficial


lol you were talking about compilers and now your argument has magically changed to something completely different.

You're so full of shit :))
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 21134
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2242 times
Been thanked: 1707 times

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:24 pm

exploited wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:correct and that 7 layer network protocol, the open systems interconnection model, is the same across all platforms.

that's why I said the differences between OS are superficial


lol you were talking about compilers and now your argument has magically changed to something completely different.

You're so full of shit :))


lol

The compiler is only used to insert the backdoor into the installation and evade detection by anyone examining the source code and a backdoor has to be associated with a network protocol in some way by necessity.

So while it may appear that way to you it is only because you don't understand the basics of network security
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby exploited » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:28 pm

That doesn't even make sense. Bullshit often has an internal logic. Yours isn't even that good.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 21134
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2242 times
Been thanked: 1707 times

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby phosphide » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 pm

The Dharma Bum wrote:correct and that 7 layer network protocol, the open systems interconnection model, is the same across all platforms.

that's why I said the differences between OS are superficial

Yes, the network protocols are the same. However, there are huge differences between how the data is handled from an operating system standpoint. So no, the diferences between OS' are not superficial.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 60 times
Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby phosphide » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:36 pm

The Dharma Bum wrote:lol

The compiler is only used to insert the backdoor into the installation and evade detection by anyone examining the source code and a backdoor has to be associated with a network protocol in some way by necessity.

So while it may appear that way to you it is only because you don't understand the basics of network security


Compilers are used to translate code into other code, not insert anything.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 60 times
Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:38 pm

phosphide wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:correct and that 7 layer network protocol, the open systems interconnection model, is the same across all platforms.

that's why I said the differences between OS are superficial

Yes, the network protocols are the same. However, there are huge differences between how the data is handled from an operating system standpoint. So no, the diferences between OS' are not superficial.


from a communications standpoint there is no real difference
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby exploited » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:38 pm

lmao
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 21134
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2242 times
Been thanked: 1707 times

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:40 pm

phosphide wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:lol

The compiler is only used to insert the backdoor into the installation and evade detection by anyone examining the source code and a backdoor has to be associated with a network protocol in some way by necessity.

So while it may appear that way to you it is only because you don't understand the basics of network security


Compilers are used to translate code into other code, not insert anything.


It's used to create the installer. You can compile your own installer and check the hash yourself, but if you are using a precompiled installer you simply don't know what is being installed.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby The Comrade » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:40 pm

"yes, two cups attached with a string and a satphone are technically different. but from a communications standpoint there is no difference"
User avatar
The Comrade
Vice President
 
Posts: 18222
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Yugoslavia
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1202 times
Been thanked: 1846 times
Political Leaning: Socialist

Re: Linux, the "hobby" OS, going to be our workhorse

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:42 pm

exploited wrote:lmao


They are both OSI, so what's the difference in how they communicate?

You understand this is why you can use your Linux box to interact with Windows boxes, right?
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests