Here's an interesting issue

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby uebermann » Mon May 19, 2014 11:30 pm

hmm ok so after googling, it would appear that this is a pretty well documented problem with that motherboard. As far as the improper amount of RAM showing up anyways.

Here's what one guy says:

at first it shows i have only 8 gigs of ram no matter what voltages i used for the ram or qpi or anything
after much trying i discovered a working way around this problem not a solution
first go to the bios and set everything to auto and restart
it should tell you the standard speed of cpu and 12 gigs of ram but not at the speed it should be
at the resart go back into the bios and reset your cpu ram to what you want and restart and it should give you all of the ram in windows
unfortunatly it does not hold if you turn it off overnite
i do it every morning and it works flawlessly all day and it runs all tests
it works for me and i hope it will help somebody else
i am also going to try and use 3 sticks of 4 gig ram for i think the trouble is it only wants to run 1 channel not 2
hop it helps

I would give that a try and if nothing else make sure you have the latest version of the BIOS then go ahead and reset the BIOS itself after a restart if it still shows the incorrect amount. Lots and lots of people having memory issues on that board.

I feel your pain, I had memory problems on my last motherboard and couldn't run RAM any faster than 1333 and the timings would be off from what they should have been. Its what ultimately lead me to buying my new one as I got tired of spending hours and hours fiddling trying to get my RAM to run like it should have.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Spider » Mon May 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Nice.

A1 is dead.

System will boot with either or both of the sticks in B1 and C1.

I'm able to also boot it with the third stick in either A2 B2 or C2...but only if there is at least one stick in B1 or C1.

Trying to boot with any combination of memory in A2 B2 or C2 does not work if there is no memory in either B1 or C1. I don't get any beeps. It just sits there and loops without POSTing or spitting out any video. No clues.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Spider » Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 pm

uebermann wrote:hmm ok so after googling, it would appear that this is a pretty well documented problem with that motherboard. As far as the improper amount of RAM showing up anyways.

Here's what one guy says:

at first it shows i have only 8 gigs of ram no matter what voltages i used for the ram or qpi or anything
after much trying i discovered a working way around this problem not a solution
first go to the bios and set everything to auto and restart
it should tell you the standard speed of cpu and 12 gigs of ram but not at the speed it should be
at the resart go back into the bios and reset your cpu ram to what you want and restart and it should give you all of the ram in windows
unfortunatly it does not hold if you turn it off overnite
i do it every morning and it works flawlessly all day and it runs all tests
it works for me and i hope it will help somebody else
i am also going to try and use 3 sticks of 4 gig ram for i think the trouble is it only wants to run 1 channel not 2
hop it helps

I would give that a try and if nothing else make sure you have the latest version of the BIOS then go ahead and reset the BIOS itself after a restart if it still shows the incorrect amount. Lots and lots of people having memory issues on that board.

I feel your pain, I had memory problems on my last motherboard and couldn't run RAM any faster than 1333 and the timings would be off from what they should have been. Its what ultimately lead me to buying my new one as I got tired of spending hours and hours fiddling trying to get my RAM to run like it should have.

I'll try this tomorrow and let you know. Its a pretty old board, honestly, and I might just trash it and send someone to Fry's for a new one if it pisses me off too much. lol.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby uebermann » Mon May 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Spider wrote:
Trying to boot with any combination of memory in A2 B2 or C2 does not work if there is no memory in either B1 or C1. I don't get any beeps. It just sits there and loops without POSTing or spitting out any video. No clues.

Well it could be poor wording but it seems to be the case and that you need at least one stick in the of the 1 spots. The way I read it is that it wont' boot with just ram in the 2 spots. Though really the wording could use a bit of improvement as a few things they say in there could be read a few different ways.

These users thanked the author uebermann for the post:
Spider
uebermann
Site Admin

Postby Spider » Tue May 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Well, I reflashed the board to the latest BIOS, which surprisingly opened up some additional memory config options. Apparently its a fix for what became a known issue.

Funny thing happened next: Still wouldn't recognize memory on its own in channel 2...but Windows and BIOS would both see the memory in channel 2, and that was new. So I got it to register all 6 gigs as long as one stick was in channel 1. But this was with all memory independent...no dual channel, even...which is strange.

So I then just stuck the channel 1 stick into the last slot in channel 2 and hard rebooted...and it restarted itself twice, with an additional beep, and then booted up fine in triple channel on channel 2.

Success!!! ...if totally wierd and random. :))

Thanks for the assistance, guys. :)

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby uebermann » Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Glad you got it working.
uebermann
Site Admin

Previous