Here's an interesting issue

Here's an interesting issue

Postby Spider » Mon May 19, 2014 6:24 pm

So, I've been working on an old triple channel motherboard with a dead DIMM slot on the primary channel. I cannot get the board to recognize any other slots on the other channel.

The board has 6 slots, 3 of each matched into two channels. System will not POST with one stick in any single secondary slot.

But...both BIOS and Windows will register 4gigs with one stick of the three in a secondary slot, meaning they ignore the other slot....while CPU-Z will recognize all 6 gigs. Meaning the secondary slots are functional. Only one dead slot on the board, and its a primary.

The two fucntional primary slots are running in dual channel, and I can't get the system to recognize the other slots at all. Nothing useful in BIOS.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11690
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 1024 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby Darkhorse » Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Misleading title.

These users thanked the author Darkhorse for the post (total 5):
HomerDylanThe ComradeexploitedPhilly
User avatar
Darkhorse
Governor
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:59 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 300 times

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby uebermann » Mon May 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Spider wrote:So, I've been working on an old triple channel motherboard with a dead DIMM slot on the primary channel. I cannot get the board to recognize any other slots on the other channel.

The board has 6 slots, 3 of each matched into two channels. System will not POST with one stick in any single secondary slot.

But...both BIOS and Windows will register 4gigs with one stick of the three in a secondary slot, meaning they ignore the other slot....while CPU-Z will recognize all 6 gigs. Meaning the secondary slots are functional. Only one dead slot on the board, and its a primary.

The two fucntional primary slots are running in dual channel, and I can't get the system to recognize the other slots at all. Nothing useful in BIOS.


Not sure I am following what you are saying exactly. You're saying the system will boot up if you put RAM in one of the two non-dead primary slots but not in any of them in the secondary?

Also, what version of Windows are you using and is it 64bit? Also what motherboard and what RAM are you using?
Image
User avatar
uebermann
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5516
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Tyler, TX
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 370 times
Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby John Galt » Mon May 19, 2014 9:09 pm

hesays windows doesn't recognize the ram in the secondary channel. are you putting it in the first secondary slot position? i think triple channel required at least two sticks to operate though, which could very well be the issue: you need two sticks in the secondary in order to get it to work, too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-chan ... chitecture
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12603
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 595 times
Been thanked: 1322 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby Spider » Mon May 19, 2014 9:18 pm

uebermann wrote:
Spider wrote:So, I've been working on an old triple channel motherboard with a dead DIMM slot on the primary channel. I cannot get the board to recognize any other slots on the other channel.

The board has 6 slots, 3 of each matched into two channels. System will not POST with one stick in any single secondary slot.

But...both BIOS and Windows will register 4gigs with one stick of the three in a secondary slot, meaning they ignore the other slot....while CPU-Z will recognize all 6 gigs. Meaning the secondary slots are functional. Only one dead slot on the board, and its a primary.

The two fucntional primary slots are running in dual channel, and I can't get the system to recognize the other slots at all. Nothing useful in BIOS.


Not sure I am following what you are saying exactly. You're saying the system will boot up if you put RAM in one of the two non-dead primary slots but not in any of them in the secondary?

Also, what version of Windows are you using and is it 64bit? Also what motherboard and what RAM are you using?


Win764
Its an Asus P6T,
Corsair 3x2GB 1333 set.

Correct. I can't get anything to register in the secondary slots. Which means I have no way to run the third stick. It will run fine on 4 GB in dual channel in the primary slots.

Weird thing is that CPU-Z sees all 6 gigs when both windows and BIOS don't.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11690
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 1024 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby Spider » Mon May 19, 2014 9:20 pm

John Galt wrote:hesays windows doesn't recognize the ram in the secondary channel. are you putting it in the first secondary slot position? i think triple channel required at least two sticks to operate though, which could very well be the issue: you need two sticks in the secondary in order to get it to work, too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-chan ... chitecture


It was working as configured before. (I didn't build this system. Just trying to repair it. One of the office workstations.) One day it was only showing 4 gigs, so I assumed a stick died. But no, all the ram is fine. The slot itself is dead. I've got through all the contacts as well, looking for a bad one or a short. Its all good.

And I've tried it in every possible position now. The system does not recognize the second channel at all, no matter what I do.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11690
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 1024 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby John Galt » Mon May 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Spider wrote:
John Galt wrote:hesays windows doesn't recognize the ram in the secondary channel. are you putting it in the first secondary slot position? i think triple channel required at least two sticks to operate though, which could very well be the issue: you need two sticks in the secondary in order to get it to work, too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-chan ... chitecture


It was working as configured before. (I didn't build this system. Just trying to repair it. One of the office workstations.) One day it was only showing 4 gigs, so I assumed a stick died. But no, all the ram is fine. The slot itself is dead. I've got through all the contacts as well, looking for a bad one or a short. Its all good.

And I've tried it in every possible position now. The system does not recognize the second channel at all, no matter what I do.


okay, it's triple channel so there are two three slot channels. one died. okay. i'm telling you both channels if you want to use them, I believe need at least two sticks of ram. you can only put in three if you only use one channel. you're not doing that now are you. you need four sticks of ram to get it to recognize at least three, if one of the primary slots is gone. at least, that's my theory. otherwise, i don't know. buy a new motherboard?
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12603
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 595 times
Been thanked: 1322 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby Spider » Mon May 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Gah. Site got buggy and I lose first attempt.

I tried that with the second channel, but the second channel is not responsive with either 1, 2, or all 3 sticks by itself.

Right now, I can boot with 1 or both of the working slots on channel 1, even if I add the third stick anywhere in channel 2 at the same time. But only CPU-Z sees the ram in that case. BIOS and Windows both see only channel 1.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11690
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 1024 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby uebermann » Mon May 19, 2014 11:04 pm

aroo?

Image
Image
User avatar
uebermann
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5516
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Tyler, TX
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 370 times
Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: Here's an interesting issue

Postby uebermann » Mon May 19, 2014 11:06 pm

I am more of a visual person when it comes to hardware - which one of those is the dead one and how are you setting up the RAM around that?
Image
User avatar
uebermann
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5516
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Tyler, TX
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 370 times
Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Next

Return to Science/Tech

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests