SSD Drives

SSD Drives

Postby phosphide » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Just curious, any of you have a preference on a particular model? Internal vs. external? Putting Win7 on my linux box but really wanted an SSD with it to increase performance.

Specs of desktop here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2082
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: SSD Drives

Postby Spider » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:09 pm

i have two of those samsungs. i like them a lot and it's a good price point for the 250gig
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby phosphide » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:12 pm

I was looking at that same Samsung one as well. I wouldn't need anymore than 64-120gb as I will be saving most of my information between cloud accounts or on my 1tb hd. I might just go ahead and get two of them and have Win7 on one and Ubuntu on the other. That way I can use my 1tb hard drive as a /home drive and additional storage. I've tried dual-booting windows and ubuntu before from the same drive. Never seems to work out well for me.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby John Galt » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:20 pm

yeah you think that but i have one that is windows/dev/photo and video stuff, and another that is all games, and there's like 50gigs left on each if that. and i have 2tb media storage for the outputs of those things so yeah. you want to go big. you do. it's a really nice price. previously it was only 10 bucks more than the 120, but even at 90 for the 120 you're getting double the capacity for only 40 more bucks
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby phosphide » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:27 pm

I don't do anywhere near that much media consumption. The Win7 install is mainly to use MS Office and other software that doesn't work on Linux. I just want it to be quick. I get pissed too easily at slow windows machines.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby Medius » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:22 am

I just recently looked into this, so I have a few bits that might be helpful.

1.) If you are looking for fast, regardless of price, look at the PCI Express slot hard drives. They are twice as fast but cost about $2 per gig.
2.) If you are looking for economical, the SATA models should be about $0.50 per gig. You really shouldn't pay more unless you are going for fast, in which case I'd suggest you see above or you are probably wasting your money.

Here's a good site for choosing: http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/

Pick your scale (there are lots of good slices to the data, like best value or best large hard drives, or just flat best performance).

If you want fast, OCZ is probably the way to go. If you want the best value, Samsung as people have already mentioned. I personally have one of the faster Corsair Neutron SATA drives, which has been great, but there are a lot of better options out there now. It was top of the pack and I got a good deal on it, but now it is middle to low. Since you are installing new, you shouldn't have a problem with it, but just to throw it out there for anyone else doing this, imaging an existing drive onto an SSD as an upgrade is a royal pain in the ass. To get the proper performance out of an SSD, there is a particular formatting that needs to occur. There's a drive offset that needs to occur that imaging does not do right, which forces you into a massively annoying cycle of booting, using a strange linux disk, forcing an offset, recovering the boot sector, and all sorts of nonsense.

My wife installed fresh and it worked perfect the first time. I imaged my drive and spent a full day getting that crap to work right to get the full speed out of my drive.
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby phosphide » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:16 am

Holy shit, I had no idea they made PCIe SSDs. That is amazing. As you mentioned though, it is rather expensive but damn it would be awesome to have. Looking at my motherboard though, I don't think most of these would be compatible.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby Medius » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:41 pm

phosphide wrote:Holy shit, I had no idea they made PCIe SSDs. That is amazing. As you mentioned though, it is rather expensive but damn it would be awesome to have. Looking at my motherboard though, I don't think most of these would be compatible.

Yeah, not sure what the requirements are, might be PCIe 3.0, honestly my SSD is plenty fast, so I'm only considering it when I upgrade my computer completely. So, while the PCIe would be dang fast, the SATA SSD is still night and day compared to a regular HD.

Still... thinking about it being freaking twice as fast... that's a bigger jump than what I got from HD to SSD in the first place...
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby phosphide » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Medius wrote:Still... thinking about it being freaking twice as fast... that's a bigger jump than what I got from HD to SSD in the first place...

No joke. The transfer speeds are ridiculously fast. I could only imagine what Ubuntu would look like.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Next

Return to Science/Tech