[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Windows 9! er... 10...? • Page 4 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

Windows 9! er... 10...?

Re: Windows 9! er... 10...?

Postby uebermann » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:47 pm

I may try it on one of our tablets soon if I get a chance. That'll definitely be a real test. If we can update from XP to 10 for $20, I'll probably do it. Linux runs great on these, however the support for the work software we use in Linux is very limited and slow. The issue isn't with Linux, its with the software company, but its an issue all the same. I'd much rather use Linux, but for $20, I'll definitely consider it if Win10 ends up working as well as its supposed to.

I don't know if thats going to be the case with XP/Win7 though - I think they were saying its only going to be Win8 but who knows as of yet.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Mr.Bill » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby uebermann » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:59 am

Downloading it now. Going to install on one of our tablet (slate) PCs to see how it works.
uebermann
Site Admin

Postby uebermann » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Installed and up and running on it. Seems to be running ok so far but haven't done much on it other than install a couple programs. Two immediate dislikes: didn't see a place to adjust screen brightness and, of f**k course, the "tablet" keyboard takes up more than half the screen and the On-Screen Keyboard does not dock so you cannot see material behind it. WHY THE f**k ARE YOU SO STUPID MICROSOFT??? My options are a very small keyboard that cannot be adjusted at all other than moving it around the screen or one that takes up half the f**k screen. Stupid. f**k.
uebermann
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Bill » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:17 pm

It's only a Beta. There's a feedback app, send MS some feedback.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby uebermann » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:56 pm

I sent them feedback about the keyboard but I don't think they are going to listen. The on screen keyboard hasn't been worth a shit since XP. The problems we were having with Bluetooth in Linux is happening in Win10 as well (exact same issues) in the software we use for work so I notified our software vendor of the problem and I'm hoping they'll fix it for Windows 10 then I can just apply the same fix for Linux heh.
uebermann
Site Admin

Postby uebermann » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:42 pm

Small rant about the idiots at Microsoft. Bought a nice laptop for $300 on ebay. Got it today and it had Win8.1 installed but wasn't fully installed (still had to do the name and all that BS). So I did. Got into Windows, loaded new ATI drivers. Reboot. Tried checking on SkyDrive just to see what the settings were and it told me I need to run updates. So I do. "No updates found." Huh. Restart a few more times after installing a few other various things and for some reason, NOW it says there are 43 updates.

Ok. What. the. f**k. I tried to MANUALLY run updates - notta. I restart the computer a bunch of times - notta. Then all of a sudden, it magically finds 43 updates that need to be ran.

Seriously MS? You can't even get your damn OS to update properly? Ridiculous that this should even be a problem at this point in time.
uebermann
Site Admin

Postby Spider » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:17 am

MS hasn't had any mojo for a long time now. The last product they made that I legitimately liked was Windows 7. The windows phones, the tablet nonsense (though admittedly the Surface Pros are very nice devices), the OS-Tablet OS merger idiocy, etc etc...one facepalm after another.

Win 7 still rocks though.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby eric » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:05 am

Surface is the bomb. It's a non-iOS device that got it right finally.

I see a few students who use them in the computer science department.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby Kane » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Windows 10 is going to be free to anybody that has Windows 7 and up....
Kane
Vice President

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

PreviousNext

Return to Science/Tech