[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Just confirming Windows 8 still sucks • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

Just confirming Windows 8 still sucks

Just confirming Windows 8 still sucks

Postby uebermann » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Got a steal of a deal on Ebay for a laptop that came with 8.1 loaded. I thought something may have been wrong with it initially because it would hang randomly and some of the programs would crash immediately after opening. Ran 10 hours of prime95 testing on cpu/memory with no errors. Ran some vidcard tests as well (apu processor) with no errors there either.

Linux seemed to be running perfectly fine as well so I loaded Windows 7 onto a partition and installed/updated and not a single f**k problem. I am going to go ahead and create a backup disk of 8.1 in case I need to reinstall it for some bizarre reason but safe to say 8.1 is the new Vista and still blows chunks.

Also, 8.1 is just extremely frustrating to use as a technical person. The placement of everything is just so damn retarded. I refuse to use it =P
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: Just confirming Windows 8 still sucks

Postby uebermann » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:03 pm

oh it was this laptop btw:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/34206231?wmls ... 52&veh=sem

got it for $295. looks brand new - not even a smudge on it.
uebermann
Site Admin

Postby Spider » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm not having problems with it being unstable. I just hate the fact that it feels like a Fisher-Price computer. As if it's some kind of a toy instead of an actual computer. As far as stability it's always been rock solid and also starts up quickly and is pretty snappy.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby uebermann » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:06 pm

Its possible its some of the bloatware in win8 but I dunno. Its a Dell and I uninstalled all of the bloat I found. I guess I can try reinstalling win8 without the dell shit but I don't see the point since win7 and Linux run flawlessly. I don't see how its possible its an issue with the hardware when it runs fine with 2 other operating systems.
uebermann
Site Admin

Postby exploited » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:16 pm

I think it's hilarious that you guys have convictions about Windows. "I just hate the fact that it feels like a Fisher-Price computer," lol. You're using an OS literally designed for the lowest common denominator, that has been awful for well over a decade.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Spider » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby exploited » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:55 pm

exploited
Vice President

Postby Spider » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Again, it's not monolithic. A Chevy cavalier is still a cavalier. 7 and 8 on the other hand are entirely different. It's probably more accurate to compare the cavalier with a Cadillac CTS. Both made by GM, but otherwise totally unrelated. Windows just gets a bad rap because it's generic; it's the most common operating system. Personally I feel that Windows 7 is frankly superior to any other operating system out there. The only one that comes close is OS X. Linux is of course in the mix, but it lacks mainstream ease of use and of course software support. I've been running Windows 7 on my NAS for nearly a year without even so much as a reboot. It's rock solid. It also powers all of our workstations at the office with nary a problem. I think Microsoft was scared of its success, and feared it getting entrenched the same way windows XP did, which is why they went as wild as they did with 8, at least in part.

I think people have problems with windows because they buy off-the-shelf PCs with crappy components and bloatware. Microsoft needs to protect its brand better. Apple on the other hand, can specifically choose optimized software and hardware.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby exploited » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:28 pm

Explain the differences between Windows 7 and 8, from the perspective of a consumer, without referring to Metro.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Spider » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 pm

If you have to negate the most glaring difference from the start, you already know you've lost. :)
That would be like comparing a white and red pizza without mentioning sauce or toppings. The most important part of any operating system is the interface. So why are we not allowed to talk about the interface? It's 80% of everything that's wrong with the operating system. What else am I supposed to talk about? The fact that ARM support is built into the kernel, which fragments it across X86 and ARM? The entire flawed design concept behind putting a tablet OS on the desktop in the first place?

Metro is exactly the thing the consumers have rejected.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Next

Return to Science/Tech