ESA Lands on Comet

Re: ESA Lands on Comet

Postby John Galt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:58 am

since they landed in near a 'cliff' and partially in shadow a km from the intended spot, now the batteries are indeed a problem
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby eynon81 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:03 am

Professor wrote:This is some pretty cool stuff.

Got so aggravated at CNN this morning. They have Bill Nye on to talk about it. Yet, all they could focus on was how the harpoon didn't work, and that it was a failure. Bill got a little miffed, and basically told them that not everything always goes right with these things, and that there are still plenty of things that they can do. And, ultimately, they succeeded in landing something roughly 1.8-9 sqkm on something that is roughly 29sqkm, travelling over 62,000mph, and over 250 million miles away.

that's weird. this is a pretty cool thing. a big leap for human exploration. and CNN is shitting on it.

my favorite scene in Interstellar is where Murph gets in trouble for telling her teacher that the Apollo Program actually happened. that's our future if we lose this intellectual struggle.
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby eynon81 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:03 am

John Galt wrote:Image

since they landed in near a 'cliff' and partially in shadow a km from the intended spot, now the batteries are indeed a problem

did you build a comet probe Galt?

No? then stop throwing stones!
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:04 am

?? i am honestly confused
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby eynon81 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:48 am

John Galt wrote:?? i am honestly confused

why all the shit talking?

why you being a hater?
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:52 am

eynon81 wrote:
John Galt wrote:?? i am honestly confused

why all the shit talking?

why you being a hater?

i have no idea what the f**k you're talking about. the only shit i was talking was against spider, because at the time the batteries were supposed to last until march and he said they had a few days. he might turn out to be right -- but only "luckily", not according to plan -- because it ended up landing next to a cliff. that and he said his neighbors have solar panels on their vans, which just again shows how f**k bizarre portland is. but i posted the picture to say, okay, spider, you might be right, but only because of a problem not because of anything anticipated. i wasn't talking shit about the mission at all i think it's marvelous
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:17 pm

For the third time. Its exactly because of the troublesome landing that the batteries are an issue. We never even really disagreed. (Excepting of course for the details of the landing you were wrong about). I've already covered this in multiple posts. Apparently, you ignored me in favor of trying to troll me for some inexplicable reason? Its not as though the lander has moved since I posted. What I said is as true now as it was then.

Jesus. Why?

And read the link I provided. Its literally piles of exacting information about the details of the mission direct from the lead scientist running the damn thing. Its not my opinion, its his. Talk shit at him, if it makes you feel good to do so.

Hell with it lol. Internet. Whatever. :))
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby uebermann » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:54 am

So latest news is they rotated it in hopes it would be able to work again some time in the coming months. Info I saw said if the batteries get too cold, they'll never hold a charge ever again. So the hopes are that the rotation was enough to keep the batteries from getting completely f**k but its anyone's guess if the thing will ever work again. If the batteries never get too cold, there's a chance it'll fire back up when it gets closer to the sun but I don't know what percent chance. Probably not a good one.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Spider » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:35 am

As far as I hear, they are considering this a 100% success. Which is probably political lipservice of course, as it really didn't work out exactly as it was supposed to. But it did manage to drill some samples and is apparently going to be able to do something with them.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby uebermann » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Also, I think its worth pointing out that if they had gone nuclear instead, they wouldn't be having these issues and would still have a working unit.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Previous

Return to Science/Tech