Google Break-Up

Google Break-Up

Postby eric » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:04 am

Possible? I know the European vote was just symbolic, but do you guys think that it's something that can realistically happen?

The more I think about it, the more I am warming up to the idea that it could happen (not that I agree with it, at least for the U.S.). Admittedly, Google is everybody's darling, but the actual case for a break-up doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me.

Maybe having to divest search from other Google products? Breaking off Gmail?

What about other companies?

Here's a link to an Economist article about it.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Re: Google Break-Up

Postby Menson » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:21 am

Eventually Google will make everything. I am genuinely looking forward to buying my first Google Smart AR-15™.
Menson
Community Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Spider » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:52 pm

I'd much rather see the big ISP's broken up. Google provides so many free services that they almost make up for their shenanigans. The likes of Comcast, ATT, time warner...pure Mordor levels of evil.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby nordictruce » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:41 pm

I wish google would be more serious about ISP. I dont need a f**k pair of smart eye glasses I need fiber optic internet streaming dammit
nordictruce
Mayor

Postby Philly » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Menson wrote:Eventually Google will make everything. I am genuinely looking forward to buying my first Google Smart AR-15™.
You do understand your Google Smart AR-15™ would monitor your location, track all discharges of the weapon, and have an option of being remotely deactivated by some guy at Google HQ, right? Still looking forward to that?
Philly
Governor

Return to Science/Tech