[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Child Sex and the Law • Page 4 • Society • Political Crossfire Forums

Child Sex and the Law

Re: Child Sex and the Law

Postby The Dharma Bum » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:07 pm

The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby exploited » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:50 pm

You are referring to the one study of 200 people, right? There are five studies referenced on Wikipedia, all published and peer reviewed, that note the same correlation.

I might also add that a quick Google search does seem to show that there is a consensus on the handedness issue. The relevant statistic is that 30% of pedophiles are left-handed; this number lines up with the percentage of sex offenders thought to be "true" pedophiles.
exploited
Vice President

Postby The Dharma Bum » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:57 pm

and?
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby The Dharma Bum » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Google says it, it must be science.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby exploited » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:09 pm

I'm not saying I'm an expert. I am just telling you that, from what I can see, the handedness correlation is valid. There appears to be a consensus on the issue, however I'd be glad to review whatever rebuttal you care to reference.
exploited
Vice President

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:43 am

I guess then you propose that as a society we should continue to compel left handers to use their right hand, because it cures pedophilia as well as witchcraft.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby exploited » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:51 am

Not at all. Lefthanded people are no more likely to be pedophiles than anyone else. Pedophiles, however, are more likely to be lefthanded.

Stop pretending your butthurt over sharing a characteristic with some pedophiles is reason to ignore what appears to be a scientific consensus. That is pretty clearly what this is about. You don't see me getting all irrational because serial killers are white, and I am white, do you?
exploited
Vice President

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:26 pm

I don't happen to be left handed.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby exploited » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Then I really don't understand why this upsets you so much.

This is the logic:

"The oven is hot. The sun is hot. Therefore all ovens are suns."
exploited
Vice President

Postby The Dharma Bum » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:59 pm

I don't see why you think I am upset in any way?

I just don't find conclusions drawn from interviewing people any more compelling than I would find eyewitness testimony. It's a conclusion with it's basis in information that is of marginal quality, in my estimation, so I wouldn't drawn any absolute conclusions one way or another.

I think think the behavior our culture labels "pedophilia" was ubiquitous throughout the vast majority of human history. These kinds of studies are really case studies in confirmation bias.

Culturally this behavior is condemned so we seek justifications for this view with the best tool we have which is science (science has surpassed religious philosophy as pinnacle of human thought).

Example one time scientists noticed what they perceived to be a correlation between the bumps on a persons head and certain types of criminal behavior. At one time this was cutting edge scientific thinking and had a major impact on criminal justice. Today we recognize phrenology as the pseudo science it is because we see that the correlations that were assigned meaning according to our cultural perspective at the time were actually meaningless when viewed from a more sophisticated perspective than that of the Victorian Age.

Reading tea leaves, seeking meaning in the bumps on someone's head, or seeking meaning in compiled statistical correlations are all basically aspects of the same thing. Providing emotional support for when cultural expectations interfere with the wider pattern of social engagement.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

PreviousNext

Return to Society