[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Stock Market Strategy • The Lounge • Political Crossfire Forums

Stock Market Strategy

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

Re: Stock Market Strategy

Postby Daktoria » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 pm

5% dividend is huge in today's markets. Most stocks operate on raw growth and reinvestment. BP's probably different because it's a state owned enterprise which funds a public pension.

Anyway, you should explain the math to unsavvy financiers here. People here don't necessarily know how the premiums are calculated on options. They're not likely familiar with stock trading at all in the first place.

You should also provide those nifty graphs too I remember learning about in my Money and Capital Markets courses.
If I thank you, you'll have 72 hours to find something I say to thank me back.

Otherwise, it will be removed. I don't like snobs with bad manners who try to become internet celebrities.
Daktoria
Mayor

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby Mr.Bill » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Here's my strategy.. It's radical, and earth shattering... But here it is:

Buy low and sell high.. B-)
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Sazari » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:29 pm

This does not make sense. If you buy in at BP at say 42 and it plunges to 20, and you wrote a bunch of puts on 40, the other guy is obviously going to exercise it and now you are buying in at 40 when the market is 20. You get f**k.
**== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==
Sazari
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Sazari » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:29 pm

That said I'm bullish on F and SCHW
**== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==
Sazari
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Mr.Bill » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:29 am

I don't know about Ford... I've been hearing for about 4 years people being 'bullish' about F.. But it's still flopping around. It did hit $18 or so a couple years back..So if you bought it at $2 or so yuo would have done alright.. But for the most part it's been disappointing...

Car stocks are a tough call.
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby PoS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:36 am

Dont you have to put in a minimum of at least $100K on options? I dont like them, especially if it goes one way in the other direction and you get a margin call- far riskier than just owning stocks.

I go with Bill's idea: buy low, sell high- I look for bluechip companies with good profits and p/e ratios. I almost doubled my money on Baidu shares last year and am currently out of the market (I think its gonna tank any time now so Ive cashed out) with the exception of my S&P 500 index fund.

PoS
Governor

Political Leaning: Fascist Libertarian

Postby eric » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:29 pm

This reminds me that i don't know anything about this stuff.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Return to The Lounge