[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Skip Your Annual Physical • General Discussion • Political Crossfire Forums

Skip Your Annual Physical

The place for general political discussion.

Skip Your Annual Physical

Postby eric » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:09 pm

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Re: Skip Your Annual Physical

Postby Professor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Yeah, I remember back in ~2008 hearing about numerous studies that showed that preventative medicine may actually cost more than treatment. That's across the board. Basically, would you (as a country, or an insurance carrier) rather pay $100 per year for 1000 patients to get checkups, or $50,000 to treat one illness?
Professor
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby eric » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:26 pm

It just seems so counter intuitive to me, because you would think that catching diseases early would be cheaper and save lives, ya know?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
eric
Governor

Postby Professor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Professor
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:31 pm

i haven't had a physical since i was in high school. you're supposed to do this? i thought it was only for women
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby jimmyz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:37 pm

No dental check-up since I was 9 years old and received an amalgam filling. I still have just that one filling. Last physical was for sophomore year football in 1981. I've saved someone lots of money.
jimmyz
Governor

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby Dylan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Eh. I don't care about saving money - I like to get regular check ups and cleanings. Catching certain diseases early is also a vitally important part of treatment.

Also you can have quality of life improvements that result from an annual physical that might not effect mortality. I want to be healthy, not just alive.
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Mr. Shaman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Mr. Shaman
Senator

Political Leaning: Progressive

Postby Professor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:45 pm

In this, you can accept my expert testimony. Legislative committees and judicial arbitrators do.

Or, you could always google "preventive care more expensive".

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... vAbJv16oSQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 4GD3Ks_2vQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... pub4G7ahrw
Professor
VIP
VIP

Postby Furley » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 pm

I had a half-assed one last year. Was nice to find out that my A1C was solid, considering I have diabetes on both sides of my family. Also finding out that my diet of sammiches, beer, and eggs hasn't managed to affect me yet.
Furley
Mayor

Political Leaning: Liberal

Next

Return to General Discussion