Has America Become An Idiocracy?

Debate opinion topics of original content.

Has America Become An Idiocracy?

Postby Luke Skywalker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Will keep this short and sweet. I mean, I could easily enough go into a long-winded diatribe 'bout the Dumbing Down of America and show where we are so stupid that we are rapidly approaching the time where (just like the movie) the biggest hit show and revenue generator on modern TV is "Ow, my Balls."

I could speak of how I look at things as a trained jazz saxophonist (and a pretty good one, if I don't say so myself) and lambast today's hip hop/pop culture.

I could then go into politics and show how President Camacho's administration will come to pass shortly, IF we are not already there.

I could talk about evolution and natural selection and show how intellectuals are an endangered species. I could also "prove" that, if you have an above average IQ, the "war" against you (the individual) is in full force.

I could tell you that the last job I would want is POTUS. I could also say that (even though I used to think this would never occur), as someone who has been labeled a "genius" by the experts, my chances of being POTUS one of these days are (just like in the movie) looking pretty good. Not that I would accept the job. "Not Sure" didn't want it, either. He just wanted to go home - back to a time and place where he didn't have to worry about being the smartest person in the world, where he was of just average intelligence. Mind you, I'm not claiming to be so smart myself, at least not compared with the likes of Einstein, Edison and even the Wright Brothers.

It's just that today, looking around, I can't help but wonder - Are we indeed living in an Idiocracy??

To close, I will only say this. IF I was ever offered the job as POTUS, I would probably recommend someone like Saz (who may be the smartest of all of us) and go about my life. He seems much more interested in (and more knowledgeable about, even) that field than me. I'll stick to music, HE can be president. Which brings me to my point - I remain here, because (what's left of) the smart people are here. We may not always agree on things, but most smart people don't. It's "Mental Chess" (these debate forums) - and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But you always learn something (which just makes one smarter).

Peace and thanks for reading. **==
Luke Skywalker
VIP
VIP

Re: Has America Become An Idiocracy?

Postby lnrw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:30 pm

I could also "prove" that, if you have an above average IQ, the "war" against you (the individual) is in full force.

Regardless of IQ, the smallest minority is the minority of one.

War has been waged against the individual as long as war has been waged. And ever will it be so.

Lifetime member of the NRA

These users thanked the author lnrw for the post:
Luke Skywalker
lnrw
Governor

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby Luke Skywalker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:35 pm

lnrw wrote:
I could also "prove" that, if you have an above average IQ, the "war" against you (the individual) is in full force.

Regardless of IQ, the smallest minority is the minority of one.

War has been waged against the individual as long as war has been waged. And ever will it be so.

Your posts ALWAYS make me think - keep it up. Posts like yours are what keeps me coming back here.

These users thanked the author Luke Skywalker for the post:
lnrw
Luke Skywalker
VIP
VIP

Postby IndependentProfessor » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:21 pm

You don't want the "smartest" guy to be President. You want a President who can hire (and listen to) the smartest guys.

These users thanked the author IndependentProfessor for the post:
Luke Skywalker
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby lnrw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:37 pm

You don't want the "smartest" guy to be President.

That's a nearly 100% success so far.

You want a President who can hire (and listen to) the smartest guys.

We're not getting that either.

Lifetime member of the NRA

These users thanked the author lnrw for the post:
Luke Skywalker
lnrw
Governor

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby Luke Skywalker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:40 pm

IndependentProfessor wrote:You don't want the "smartest" guy to be President. You want a President who can hire (and listen to) the smartest guys.

Another excellent point to consider. With that in mind, I may happen to know the perfect individual for the job. Whether the person would want the job is another story, though.

But, maybe that is what we're looking for - a relatively bright individual (but, not the "smartest"), who is an impeccable listener and knows who to listen to (who doesn't necessarily want the job - and the pomp and circumstance that goes with it).

You've hit the nail on the head again, I think. :)
Luke Skywalker
VIP
VIP

Postby Luke Skywalker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:27 pm

I guess we're looking for someone with humility, as well as intelligence. The former would rule me out, for sure. I'm way too arrogant, at least from my perspective - let's just say that I'm far from being the listener I aspire to be. Others who know me may say otherwise, but I'm far from "perfect" in my eyes. I actually do know someone who I personally believe who make an awesome POTUS, but I don't think he'd want it. Too much integrity.

Maybe, lol, we should just hire the Pope (if that's possible) and be done with it? Someone who is humble yet spiritually perfect; smart but listens; conservative on some issues and liberal on others; respected and benevolent. Most important, someone who could unite us - various special interest groups are always working to divide us (on both sides of the spectrum) and the Pope would appeal across party lines. The perfect candidate - too bad he's not an American citizen; Argentina born. OK, I would be in favor of changing the rules - just for the Pope, as I believe someone like him is exactly what we need.
Luke Skywalker
VIP
VIP

Postby IndependentProfessor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:55 am

lnrw wrote:
You don't want the "smartest" guy to be President.

That's a nearly 100% success so far.

You want a President who can hire (and listen to) the smartest guys.

We're not getting that either.

Not since 1992-1996.
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Postby IndependentProfessor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:57 am

Luke Skywalker wrote:I guess we're looking for someone with humility, as well as intelligence. The former would rule me out, for sure. I'm way too arrogant, at least from my perspective - let's just say that I'm far from being the listener I aspire to be. Others who know me may say otherwise, but I'm far from "perfect" in my eyes. I actually do know someone who I personally believe who make an awesome POTUS, but I don't think he'd want it. Too much integrity.

Maybe, lol, we should just hire the Pope (if that's possible) and be done with it? Someone who is humble yet spiritually perfect; smart but listens; conservative on some issues and liberal on others; respected and benevolent. Most important, someone who could unite us - various special interest groups are always working to divide us (on both sides of the spectrum) and the Pope would appeal across party lines. The perfect candidate - too bad he's not an American citizen; Argentina born. OK, I would be in favor of changing the rules - just for the Pope, as I believe someone like him is exactly what we need.

Dunno - not a favor of someone whose job it is to convince people to give money to something for one thing (the poor, the hungry, etc.) but spends that money instead on gold-plated cups. Sounds too much like a 3rd-world despot, a Middle Eastern sheikh, or a fly-by-night charity.
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Postby Luke Skywalker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:23 am

IndependentProfessor wrote:
Luke Skywalker wrote:I guess we're looking for someone with humility, as well as intelligence. The former would rule me out, for sure. I'm way too arrogant, at least from my perspective - let's just say that I'm far from being the listener I aspire to be. Others who know me may say otherwise, but I'm far from "perfect" in my eyes. I actually do know someone who I personally believe who make an awesome POTUS, but I don't think he'd want it. Too much integrity.

Dunno - not a favor of someone whose job it is to convince people to give money to something for one thing (the poor, the hungry, etc.) but spends that money instead on gold-plated cups. Sounds too much like a 3rd-world despot, a Middle Eastern sheikh, or a fly-by-night charity.

I hear you on that - was just an idea, made with a "tongue in cheek" dose of sarcasm and humor. That said, I like Francis. However, if I found out that he is spending money on things like "gold plated cups," instead of where it belongs (for the poor or hungry)? Then, frankly, I would find it very hypocritical.

I guess I expect others (especially men/women of "the cloth") to be like me. If I won Powerball, for instance, I would donate the money to charity. I once gave a speech on why that would be, in a college class. Here are some of the reasons I gave:

1) I would not want all the problems that come with being rich.
2) I already have a place to live and all I could want.
3) Personally, I would want to help eliminate diseases like AIDS; Cancer; Diabetes, etc., and think the money would be better spent there.
4) As a follower of Christ (he was poor) - and someone who is trying to be like Him - it would be very hypocritical of me to accept any money (especially a large sum like Powerball). Or, at least any more money than I NEED to survive.
5) It is the right thing to do, for my integrity is what I desire to keep. (Lots of money tends to corrupt, from my experience)

(after I finished the speech, the class looked at me like I was from another planet or something, LOL)

I know - a Libertarian, who doesn't like money. Who would have thought?

Anyways, maybe it's not that I'm better than others. It could be a personality thing - I'm an INFP, on the Myers-Briggs scale. We're very rare, but we are out there and money is NOT what we're after.

In other words, I don't see myself as being a better person than you or anyone else - some folks need to make lots of money to be OK with themselves, others don't.

Not sure how I got sidetracked on that - back to the Pope.

I think it's all 'bout motives. I was always taught that folks in positions of power and authority - like, church leaders - are held to a much higher standard by God, than us "common" people. Personally, I would find it very disturbing, if your assertion is true. God is the final judge, though, which is why I try not to judge others. ;)
Luke Skywalker
VIP
VIP

Next

Return to The Soapbox