[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
American Sniper bugs me... • Page 13 • Front Page News • Political Crossfire Forums

American Sniper bugs me...

Current news and it's political impact.

Re: American Sniper bugs me...

Postby NAB » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:23 pm

NAB
Governor

Postby Kane » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Seeing this movie tonight. Will let thoughts flow afterwards.
Kane
Vice President

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby exploited » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:43 pm

exploited
Vice President

Postby Kane » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:29 am

Overall impression of film: entertaining

If I knew nothing about Chris Kyle or any backstory to the recent controversy I'd probably like the film more. It wouldn't have prompted my mind to kick into gear.

Basically, the movie feels like it was all about Chris Kyle. Everything else wrapped around him. And I don't know if it was Clint Eastwood's intention to do so...but everybody else in the film that challenged his service and multiple tours appeared timid or meek. His wife seemed needy or ignorant of his sacrifice (at least how she was portrayed), his brother incapable of fighting a war (His comment that he f**k hated Iraq as he boarded a plane home - he was smaller than his brother, bent over, eyes looked worn, etc), and the amazing gallantry of Chris Kyle in nearly every encounter that challenged his view. It was always about protecting his family, his brothers in arms, and his country. Every nostalgic mantra of nationalism was trumpeted in this film repeatedly by Chris Kyle. The ending with all of the flags and casket ride was meant to pull tears. Maybe it was the acting? Maybe the brother and the wife just came across poorly, I don't know. I just know that's how I interpreted their performances in the film. The soldier as the strong one protecting the country even when it demanded that he return home and stay.

Moreover, this film did absolutely nothing to touch on any US missteps in the country. It was as if Chris and the US were the victims of their own superiority. The few incidents of Chris coming to terms with his PTSD were few and far between. His brief consultation led him to other veterans in need (those suffering from their war wounds) and that only came about after his encounter with the dog he interpreted to be attacking his son. That was it. Outside of that, miraculous comeback psychologically speaking.

The one thing that appeared in the film that I actually took notice of was the drive away from the doctor following the ultrasound. That portion, where he highlights the degree to which US citizens went about their lives as we waged war...as if nothing was going on...chilling. And it always will be. As much as I feel this movie may have lost touch with reality in its attempt to portray a US symbol heroically, I believe we have completely and utterly lost touch with what it costs to wage war.
Kane
Vice President

Postby Kane » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:34 am

Kane
Vice President

Postby Kane » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:39 am

Kane
Vice President