[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
SSD Drives • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

SSD Drives

SSD Drives

Postby phosphide » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Just curious, any of you have a preference on a particular model? Internal vs. external? Putting Win7 on my linux box but really wanted an SSD with it to increase performance.

Specs of desktop here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2082
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: SSD Drives

Postby Spider » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:09 pm

i have two of those samsungs. i like them a lot and it's a good price point for the 250gig
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby phosphide » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:12 pm

I was looking at that same Samsung one as well. I wouldn't need anymore than 64-120gb as I will be saving most of my information between cloud accounts or on my 1tb hd. I might just go ahead and get two of them and have Win7 on one and Ubuntu on the other. That way I can use my 1tb hard drive as a /home drive and additional storage. I've tried dual-booting windows and ubuntu before from the same drive. Never seems to work out well for me.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby John Galt » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:20 pm

yeah you think that but i have one that is windows/dev/photo and video stuff, and another that is all games, and there's like 50gigs left on each if that. and i have 2tb media storage for the outputs of those things so yeah. you want to go big. you do. it's a really nice price. previously it was only 10 bucks more than the 120, but even at 90 for the 120 you're getting double the capacity for only 40 more bucks
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby phosphide » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:27 pm

I don't do anywhere near that much media consumption. The Win7 install is mainly to use MS Office and other software that doesn't work on Linux. I just want it to be quick. I get pissed too easily at slow windows machines.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby Medius » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:22 am

Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby phosphide » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:16 am

Holy shit, I had no idea they made PCIe SSDs. That is amazing. As you mentioned though, it is rather expensive but damn it would be awesome to have. Looking at my motherboard though, I don't think most of these would be compatible.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby Medius » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby phosphide » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:02 pm

- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Next

Return to Science/Tech