[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
ESA Lands on Comet • Page 2 • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

ESA Lands on Comet

Re: ESA Lands on Comet

Postby John Galt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:58 am

since they landed in near a 'cliff' and partially in shadow a km from the intended spot, now the batteries are indeed a problem
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby eynon81 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:03 am

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby eynon81 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:03 am

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:04 am

?? i am honestly confused
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby eynon81 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:48 am

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:52 am

John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:17 pm

For the third time. Its exactly because of the troublesome landing that the batteries are an issue. We never even really disagreed. (Excepting of course for the details of the landing you were wrong about). I've already covered this in multiple posts. Apparently, you ignored me in favor of trying to troll me for some inexplicable reason? Its not as though the lander has moved since I posted. What I said is as true now as it was then.

Jesus. Why?

And read the link I provided. Its literally piles of exacting information about the details of the mission direct from the lead scientist running the damn thing. Its not my opinion, its his. Talk shit at him, if it makes you feel good to do so.

Hell with it lol. Internet. Whatever. :))
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby uebermann » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:54 am

So latest news is they rotated it in hopes it would be able to work again some time in the coming months. Info I saw said if the batteries get too cold, they'll never hold a charge ever again. So the hopes are that the rotation was enough to keep the batteries from getting completely f**k but its anyone's guess if the thing will ever work again. If the batteries never get too cold, there's a chance it'll fire back up when it gets closer to the sun but I don't know what percent chance. Probably not a good one.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Spider » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:35 am

As far as I hear, they are considering this a 100% success. Which is probably political lipservice of course, as it really didn't work out exactly as it was supposed to. But it did manage to drill some samples and is apparently going to be able to do something with them.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby uebermann » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Also, I think its worth pointing out that if they had gone nuclear instead, they wouldn't be having these issues and would still have a working unit.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Previous

Return to Science/Tech